Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Decided to take off my rear wings yesterday with a view to replacing them and the rubbers as they are dented and a bit gash looking. After struggling with spinning bolts and wads of filler flying everywhere, i managed to remove them only to find that the dreaded brown stuff has riddled both my rear quarters. :mad:

Looking at the rear panels its the usual bottom 6-8 inches of the car which have rusted out. Which includes the botton rear quarter, wheel arch and stud line (cause of spinning bolts) and also the rear bumper mounts etc. The heater channel on one side is also gone (but i will have to sort that later when funds become available!) so needs doing to.

What would be the best thing to do here? purchase a complete rear panel from Heritage? or buy from the panels from the window down and beyond and replace just those?

As i have never welded before or have not got a clue how to do it, what would be the easier option for someone to do this work? Would it be wise for a novice to even attempt to do it?

Any pics or articles would also help on this.

Many Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
If you have never welded before, it may not be a good idea to carve large chunks out of your car.
Start with manageable repair jobs, you'll soon gain the confidence to tackle the big stuff. From your description, the rot is not that extensive that it requires a full rear 1/4, there are repair panels available for the bit between door and leading edge of the wing, which replace the bottom 4 wing mounting bolts, and require minimum cutting of the original body. Likewise, there are repair panels for the rear bumper hanger area, which are quite easy to fit. Even if you have no welding experience, you could learn enough in a few hours to be able to do both these repairs, or you can do the cutting and fitting, and get a mobile welder, or a mate to weld them in place.
A lot of people will tell you that the Repair panels are no good, thin steel, and poorly fitting, and to get genuine panels from Hetritage, They are all telling you the truth, but the genuine panels are expensive, and, as you should not cut out Good steel to fit the complete panel, you would waste most of a full 1/4 'cos you will only use the bottom 8 inches or so.
If, later, when you have burnt your fingers a few times, and are still keen to weld, you feel the need for Genuine steel, you will still be able to replace the full 1/4, having only spent £20 or so on the 2 repair panels.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts