Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after trying to sell the bug and failing to get what i feel its worth i have decided to make a rail from it to use as my summertime shooting wagon!!!!

now - wheres the best place to start with such a mutilation - err, i mean conversion!!

i'm guessing fuel tank out is a great place to start! followed by bonnet, doors, interior, windows, decklid, then the wings

as for the body..... would it be quicker and easier to just cut it apart, stick it on the pickup and take it to be weighed in as scrap or is it advisable to make the effort to remove it in one piece???

i was hoping too leave the dash and front tinwork around the footwells in place and leave the firewall in to extend over the engine to make a platform out back -

what say you, the good folks of the VZi????

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spiny said:
rails generally have a tube frame chassis.
although this cannot be exclusive - why would it matter to use a strengthened bug floor and chassis???

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I'm with FBJ on this.
Floorpan rails with tube look terrible.
Do it properly first time.
Cheers for the link Veedweeb as Jax13 mailed me earlier.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't think it will look too bad - i'm going for a slightly more military come agricultural look to the monster - there will be a fair bit of box section, chequer plate and scaffolding poles!!!!! add to this the gun lockers, poachers seat in the middle at the back thats gonna be elevated and i think you can see where its going!!!!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
jax13 said:
i don't think it will look too bad - i'm going for a slightly more military come agricultural look to the monster - there will be a fair bit of box section, chequer plate and scaffolding poles!!!!! add to this the gun lockers, poachers seat in the middle at the back thats gonna be elevated and i think you can see where its going!!!!
:eek: :eek: dont' offer him membership for gods sake! :hangloose

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do people seem to think this is a bit of a daft project????

if and when its finished its gonna be very recognizable as a vw based vehicle, it will perform its task as an off roader to shoot form admirably and to be honest..... despit looking very rugged - i think it'll look great!!!

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
Why not cut off roof and cut doors down and weld them in place then remove loads more metal at front and rear rather baja ish

1 - 13 of 13 Posts