Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, the dynamo has just packed up on my 71 bug :(
so an alternator it is then - my question is can i change it over with the engine in place, or will i have to drop it out ? does it make any difference that it has 40 idf"s ????
cheers :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
i would be easier alot easier to drop the engine as its all inside the fan housin and could prove difficult in the bug. the carbs should be ok as i cant see them gettin in the way. this is the way i done it theres prob an easier way tht what i did but its all i know
dave

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks people, it started working again, but only after it was running for about 30 seconds or so, i guess it will fail sooner rather than later so i"d best get it sorted before the realy crap weather gets here,
thanks again :)

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
To pull the fanshroud with the engine fitted, you can remove the engine lid mounting brackets (the U shaped ones) to make the job easier.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there anything else i will need for the job ? other than the obv alternator, is the stand different ? also, i read someplace that the fuel pump will be in the way and will need changing ? one last thing, will the alt fit into my 36hp fan housing ??? would it be easier to just put in another dynamo - any views ??
thanks all :)

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
Dynamo straight swap would be easiest, but alternator is probably the better option. (but make sure it is your dynamo at fault, and not the regulator or just the dynamo brushes worn down too far)

To do an alternator swap -

You'll need - alternator (get the later type with the internal regulator, otherwise you'll have to buy a seperate regulator for it as well)

An alternator stand, (they are different), wire and connectors to extend the ignition warning light wire from under the back seat to the alternator.

Connectors to make good the wiring under the back seat from where the dynamo regulator was.

A new alternator fanbelt (diferent size to dynamo one)

Your fuel pump may or may not foul the alternator body, it depends on which type of fuel pump you have. If it does then you'll need a later (alternator style) pump and the pump pushrod to suit. (diferent lengths of pushrod)

Should fit your fanshroud OK, as long as the one you already have fits OK.

Dave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts