21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Wow! major work... on the house too.

I wish I had your energy mate.

Good luck with it all. :)
Everything I touch always seems to get out of control very quickly. Originally we were planning to have a few rooms plastered, tart up the existing kitchen and bathroom, and move in within 4-6 weeks. This was back in April 2020 in the midst of the first lockdown. Instead we moved in anyway, and started the following:

Full re-wire
All new plumbing
Back to brick in all but three rooms (as we needed some living space!)
All new ceilings on the ground floor
All new internal woodwork
New bathrooms
New kitchen
Converting roof space to give three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a store room and a 'plant room' (seems to be the trendy expression to describe a room full of electrics and plumbing)
All new slate roof (including structure)
Ground floor extension
New garage

So far, other than the slate roof on the garage and the plastering in the three finished rooms we are currently living out of (which don't include a kitchen or lounge!) I have done everything myself (with help from some very talented friends) at weekends / in the evenings. I genuinely wish I'd never started. :D

Brilliant, love seeing these things, learning how people build is great
Looking Good GBJB.
Thanks both! :)

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Back to the summerhouse... at this point work could only be done at weekends so progress slowed.

This was how it looked after Day 7 (full day) and Day 8 (half day). I always take some time off at the weekend to spend with the kids, although when the weather is nice they are usually playing in the garden while I'm working so I haven't felt like I'm missing out too much.

The rest of it is going to be rendered blockwork, save for brick corbels and a further dental course at the top of the gable. The floor is going to be an insulated suspended timber floor, hence the airbricks. This is to keep options open for plumbing / wiring and also be more cost effective as I can do eveything myself. I wasn't sure on the finished floor level so I haven't left pockets for the joists, and instead will bolt a timber plate and put joist hangers on this.

It doesn't help that I'm doing all this while recovering from torn ankle ligaments. I'm typing this while waiting for the painkillers to kick in and let me get back up the scaffold and carry on! :oops:

Reactions: Brian Burrows

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you. :)

The following weekend was more blockwork, and I put the drains in on a sunny evening. I'm putting a proper drain in just in case I ever wanted to put a toilet in, as it would be relatively easy to put a door at the back and have a little lean to extension with a bathroom in.

I also started levelling the ground around it so we can get it seeded and looking a bit more 'garden like'!

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Progress has been slow, and has stopped entirely at the moment as due to the joiners finally starting the roof (some 4.5 months late) my attention has been focussed on the house, and there has been a fair amount of brickwork and steel to sort out which has kept me very busy.

The following photos bring the project up to date, and costs so far are in the region of £6,000. When you look at the prices of timber / pre-fab garden rooms this seems very reasonable to me and I am on track to finish it for £10,000. The value added to the house should be 3 or 4 times this based on current valuation advice.

The brick pillar was surprisingly time consuming to get right due to the number of cuts, and the need to have it looking good in all directions. I think it turned out ok.

We have spent a huge amount of time on the garden too, and the grass has started to become established quickly. It was entirely overgrown 14 months ago, and the rockery was completely overgrown. We didn't even know there was a waterfall there!

There is probabably a weekend's worth of brickwork left, then its time to get the steel ridge beam in and start making the roof. I'm aiming to do all this myself at this point... I am perhaps being optimistic. :LOL:

·
Administrator
166,797 Posts
Progress has been slow, and has stopped entirely at the moment as due to the joiners finally starting the roof (some 4.5 months late) my attention has been focussed on the house, and there has been a fair amount of brickwork and steel to sort out which has kept me very busy.

The following photos bring the project up to date, and costs so far are in the region of £6,000. When you look at the prices of timber / pre-fab garden rooms this seems very reasonable to me and I am on track to finish it for £10,000. The value added to the house should be 3 or 4 times this based on current valuation advice.

View attachment 293613

View attachment 293614

The brick pillar was surprisingly time consuming to get right due to the number of cuts, and the need to have it looking good in all directions. I think it turned out ok.

We have spent a huge amount of time on the garden too, and the grass has started to become established quickly. It was entirely overgrown 14 months ago, and the rockery was completely overgrown. We didn't even know there was a waterfall there!

View attachment 293615

There is probabably a weekend's worth of brickwork left, then its time to get the steel ridge beam in and start making the roof. I'm aiming to do all this myself at this point... I am perhaps being optimistic. :LOL:
Looking good. :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts