Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got this area of hardstanding next to the garage that i'm thinking of building a carport over to give me some more covered work area. It'll probably end up with sides too when funds allow.
Window Building Asphalt Sky Land lot

The area marked is 14ft wide by 28ft long (garage is 20ft deep) so a fairly reasonable size. It slopes towards the drive with a drop of nearly 1ft over that length.
Currently it has our motorhome parked on it and that'll still need to fit under so it will have to be 10ft high.
At that height it'll be a foot above the height of the guttering on the front of the garage.

The last carport i built was made from 6x2 timber with 4x4 uprights. I'm not sure if 14ft long 6x2s would be OK across the span or if it'd need to be beefier. Same for the uprights. Would 4x4 timber be OK at 10ft long and whats the best way to attach them to the sloping concrete hard standing? Would metposts work bolted down? :unsure:

I'll probably use steel box profile sheeting for the roof as the clear polycarbonate stuff i've used before would most likely not last very long as its in a pretty exposed position.
This is also the reason why it'll eventually end up with a side and back wall.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The cost of timber has rised dramatically since i last built one so its gonna be quite a big investment for me but having space to fit a T3 hightop camper under to work on would be ideal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
There is a fair bit to consider here on design and structure not just the materials. expected roof weight with the type you choose will be a start point but need to factor in extra weight for rain/snow. More importantly how to ensure it doesn’t lift when the wind gets under it in such an exposed position plus it looks like it will be above the facia level of the roof?
Seeing the location and potential plan to put back and side on, I think you are best to start with confirmation of planning consent required as a structure extending close to property boundary and potentially affecting view for the junction might be a tricky one.

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres been no snow here since 2011 and then there was only a couple of inches. The wind is likely to be the main problem as it always comes from the south so hits the back of the garage.
This is how it currently sits. Motorhome obstructs the view of the junction nicely at the moment.
Cloud Sky Vehicle Plant Building

Heres the property boundary. Its gonna be too big and too close to the boundary to fall under permitted development.
Water Water resources Plant Air travel Land lot

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nice plot and Camper you got there!
as it’s gonna need planning and it’s not a straightforward construction I’d suggest use an architect, they can work all this out and liaise with planning to understand what if any building regs are gonna be needed - my guess they would as carport is classed as outbuilding and less than 1mtr from boundary it seems? An architect that knows and works with council and building control can be worth their weight in gold to get things through. you can submit a basic design (sketch) for planning application first and then see if it gets passed before detailed design/construction. im not an expert but it looks like the back of the carport would protrude past the existing property line of house and garage so may not even get planning approved.
good luck with it mate 👍✌

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it'll be about 8ft past the back of the garage. Planning round here is pretty strict unfortuantely so i've been told its likely to be too tall and too close to the boundary for the size i really want.
A smaller one the length of the garage (20ft long) and only 8ft wide will possibly fall within permitted development as it'll be over a metre from the boundary. Not 100% sure of the height of a hightop T3 camper but i think around the 8ft height.
Theres enough space then for the motorhome to possibly still fit snuggly down the side.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sounds like that may work ( albeit less than you’d like ).
possibly the most aesthetic way to achieve the 8 x 20 could be to extend the existing garage pitch roof out 8ft sitting on steelwork tied into garage with 8 ft span ( 6” x 4” ) I beam should be enough) sitting on two steel pillars 4“ or 6” box section bolted to ground with foot plates with 8” (would need checking) I beam tying these together. Light, pre made Timber roof trusses and then tiled. Maybe not the cheapest but would look good and potentially open opportunities for future ‘sides’ after some years have passed.
if sticking with length of the garage then maybe simplest option could be those self supporting canopies attached to garage wall to keep the worst of weather off - especially if the motor home is protecting one side.
take care mate

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems the tallest t25 hightop is around 104" high (8ft 8"). This is currently parked at my brother in laws. Would be a lot easier to work on if it was sat on my drive instead of having to travel to it. I'll run a tape measure over it this afternoon.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Not 100% sure of the height of the guttering on the front of the garage but i seem to remember its around 8.5ft above the ground.
A curtain side from an artic would be ideal for sides as i could slide it out of the way when it was dry/sunny and shut it when it was raining to keep the worst of the weather out.
I'll have to do a bit more planning i think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts