Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this thought I would join to tell anyone thats interested im building a UVA very slowly and would appreciate hearing from anybody who has built one or knows and tricks,
What is the rules on getting it registered?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it from a friend we think it is a Kingfisher Customs built sandrail cage. It has serial numbers so dont think it is a home made job, It is also very well built and loooks like it is new and been stored.
I will take some pictures this weekend and try to post them so if you have a minute you could look.
Cheers for the reply

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Would be interested to see how you get on, as I am thinking of doing similar. Currently looking for an incomplete UVA / chassis.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It is worth joining the fugitives forum.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Fugitive_Forums/index.php?

I have one, now on the road after extensive rebuild but my chassis was already registered, correctly as a Fugitive I might add ( very important) so it was easy.
I believe it is more difficult nowadays due to SVA but there are people here and on Fug forum with more experience than me, I have heard stories about it being almost impossible then others saying it isnt too difficult at all.

Good luck

·
Registered
693 Posts
garageman said:
It is worth joining the fugitives forum.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Fugitive_Forums/index.php?

I have one, now on the road after extensive rebuild but my chassis was already registered, correctly as a Fugitive I might add ( very important) so it was easy.
I believe it is more difficult nowadays due to SVA but there are people here and on Fug forum with more experience than me, I have heard stories about it being almost impossible then others saying it isnt too difficult at all.

Good luck
As he says I was lucky as my Fug came with uva on the log book so was already a Q plate which helps
The SVA is very hard for one of these things BUT it can be done

·
Registered
693 Posts
billybob said:
I've had 2 customers who have passed SVA with the Berrien rails I sell.
Hi fella The rails you sell are cool and I can see why they pass the SVA as you can easily supply the data sheets etc to help

They also appear to have a much higher quaility build than the uva frames [This is only based on the two fugatives I have owned]

I was talking about a UVA rail produced 22 years ago as in my case it says built in 1984 on the log book so it only needed a basic mot to be registered not like the SVA inspections carried out to day

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
No worries dude. In my opinion and that of a load of others, the Berrien is much better than UVA. The design of the shape also adds more strength etc.

·
Registered
693 Posts
billybob said:
No worries dude. In my opinion and that of a load of others, the Berrien is much better than UVA. The design of the shape also adds more strength etc.
Are uva still produced in one form or another

·
Registered
854 Posts
UVA was a company from Whitchurch (Unique Vehicle Accessories Ltd)
as well as building the fugitive 2 and fugitive 4 (both based on a usa design) they also built a road going rail called the montage which ran with a mid mounted rover v8
plus baja kits, wide wings, and an estate conversion for the beetle
;)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Lazarus Churchyard said:
UVA was a company from Whitchurch (Unique Vehicle Accessories Ltd)
as well as building the fugitive 2 and fugitive 4 (both based on a usa design) they also built a road going rail called the montage which ran with a mid mounted rover v8
plus baja kits, wide wings, and an estate conversion for the beetle
;)
That will explain why a number of semi built cars seem to pop up from time to time in this area I only live 32 miles from Whitchurch thanks for information :)

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,891 Posts
if the chassis came from kingfishers its more likely to be a comando rail(kingfishers take on a fugative )or a chenworth(proper off road race chassis.avoid uva,s as the quality of build and seating position isn,t a patch on a chenworth or berrian.but if you need any body panels for a uva then ive got a full set,still in the gel coat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive just had a look at your uva but again mine looks nothing like that I will get some photo,s today and see if anybody knows what it is, Thanks for the reply Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Think it might be a long project as I want to do it properly and have just had a baby, I will keep you posted, Let me know how you get on, Cheers for the reply Steve

·
Registered
693 Posts
buggypete said:
if the chassis came from kingfishers its more likely to be a comando rail(kingfishers take on a fugative )or a chenworth(proper off road race chassis.avoid uva,s as the quality of build and seating position isn,t a patch on a chenworth or berrian.but if you need any body panels for a uva then ive got a full set,still in the gel coat.
I take your point about the driving position of the uva but with the seats designed for the rail even me at 6'4" can drive them comfortably [the peddle box is a lot nearer the front than most to be fair]

Mine is a uva built one and that was piss poor untill I totaly rebuilt it but I can not see why if properly sorted a uva is good for every day use

I do think the build comes down to who lashed it together which alot of buggies were many years ago and uva should not be branded any worse or better than the other buggies and rails produced 20 plus years ago

They will never be a proper off roader like a chenworth but I think they [the fugative] looks better

If I was doing it again I would buy a new kit as beleave it or not it would have worked out cheeper in the long run :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
buggypete said:
If petes got a set of panels for your fugative I would buy them I had to buy a complete car just to get the panels :crazy:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
PRO33 said:
If I was doing it again I would buy a new kit as believe it or not it would have worked out cheeper in the long run :)
Yeh, but would you buy a new UVA (Fugitive 2) or a new Berien (Warrior)?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts