Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i want to build an engine for my camper, im running a standard 1600, but want a bit more umph :incheek: just thinking about maybe a 1641? would that be good enough or would a 1776 be better? also would an ametur b able to build an engine ok? (i my way around my aircooled engines pretty well!) what sort of price would i be talkig? :hangloose

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
thinking about maybe a 1641
That is hardly going to make a difference unless fitted with twin carbs. Go along the 1776 route, but have a look around at cams to see which would be the best solution for what you are doing, i.e. shifting a lot of weight at a reasonable speed, say 60-70mph.

Engines aint too difficult to build, get one of the books on engine building/rebuilding to be sure. Prices around £2500 for an all new, including case, 1776, can't remember whether that included carbs or not... SSP do out of the box engines, look at them for spec and rough pricing

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking of twin carbs 4 the 1641, hmmmm maybe 1776, how much difference in price if i built, reconditioned one?

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
Start with the basics, ie haynes or bentley workshop manuals will give you the basics on engine assembly. The John Muir "idiot" book is also well worth a read, especially if you are new to the insides of VW's.

1641 build is (almost) identical to a stock 1600 build except for larger bore cylinders, for 1776 you need the case and heads machining out, plus more considerations for adjustment to compression ratios etc. Cam choice and valvetrain is another major subject.

Read up everything you can, books and online, do your homework (and your sums) first to see what's realistic for your budget.

Other books worth reading - Keith Seume's Engine Interchange manual, the Hot VW's "all about performance VW engines" books 1 and 2, and if you're going for DRLA or IDF carbs, get the CB superperformance books for your carb type.

Dave.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
In my opinion a 1641 upgrage on a 1600 engine will make very little difference. Those people who tell you that there is a fantastic difference are kidding themselves, ceteris paribus. The added disadvantage of thinner walled pistons also can bring trouble in the long run.

Though a 1776 may cost more, it will be a much better and more drivable experience than a 1641 in a type 2.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i do know most things about the engine of a vw, worked on my bug and vans loads doing loads of different stuff, so seeing as its my first engine build would a 1641 be easier? when building how much roughly would a 1641 cost, and how much would a 1776 cost? would hope to use as many 2nd hands parts as poss. :)

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Building a 1641 would be exactly the same as building a 1776, the process is the same. Check the SSP site for difference in price between the two. Add to theri out of the box price about £200 for parts that you really want. Going 2nd hadn is risky but also can pay off. Price then depends on whether you need a new block and what parts you can beg, borrow or steal from people. Phrases about string come to mind...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Cost

Asa price guide my 1776 has so far cost about 800.

Includes:

Donor s/h engine = 85
New heads & valves = 180
Case & head machining = 120
Oil Pump = 20
Scat 25 Cam kit = 125
S/H 1776 b n p's = 50
S/H bolt on rockers = 25
All new Bearings = 50'ish
Missing tin ware s/h = 50'ish
32/36 progressivecarb = 90
gasket set = 12
f/w seal =8
full flow filter bits =30
new piston rings =20

plus some [email protected] carbs I bought unseen and other stuff I've forgotten etc.. etc..

Cheers James

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
If this is for a bay, give a type 4 motor some consideration! These came with Aluminiumcrank case, filtered ful flow, twin carbs and bigger capacity to start! The 1800 in a bay shifts...with pleanty of torque, and will outlast most perfromance type 1's.

·
Registered
457 Posts
VielziDub said:
If this is for a bay, give a type 4 motor some consideration! These came with Aluminiumcrank case, filtered ful flow, twin carbs and bigger capacity to start! The 1800 in a bay shifts...with pleanty of torque, and will outlast most perfromance type 1's.
Don't think these will fit an early bay (<71) though. Or so I've been told. If I'm wrong I've wasted a load of time on this *****.. :rolleyes:

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
They'll fit with a bit of fettling.

A rover V8 will fit so a VW flat four shouldn't be too difficult.

Dave.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts