Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning VZi-ers...
I might, all being well, be needing the services of a buildings surveyor in the not too distant future. Domestic property, built around 1920, but with a later extension on the side. It has had a couple of original internal walls knocked out, it's in a mining area, and has a tree (Leylandii) to just above gutter level about 1m from the rear elevation. It's an estate sale, and I don't think there's been any maintenance on the property for about 30 years. Structurally I don't see any concerns but I'm not trained or experienced to spot anything other than big cracks, so I think if our offer is accepted, we'll pay for a RICS Level 3 survey (this is the old 'full structural' if I've read correctly). Costs more, but may be a good bargaining chip on the price which currently I think, or at least hope, is a bit optimistic.
I could just look on the internet and pick, but thought I'd ask for a recommendation/advice...
Thanks,
Dave.

·
Premium Member
15,658 Posts
Can't help with the surveyor.

If you think there's any chance in the future of extending the property in the direction of the tree, leave it there. I had enormous trees on the boundary, they blocked all the light out, so I cut them down.

Fast forward a couple of years and I wanted to extend in that direction. I could only go to within 2m from the boundary. If I'd left the trees there, I would've been able to go to within 1m, as the trees were already causing a light obstruction.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sol, no, the tree is just about 1/3 of the way into the rear elevation and minimum 4m from any boundary - we'd not be extending that way but thanks for the heads-up...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts