Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all,
Started my bus up today and found that when the clutch pedal is depressed it creeps forward. i have had some problems with 1st and 2nd gear selection so i changed the rear selector coupling and the front and both rear selector bushes which made it slightly better but still notchey. The clutch pedal has no free play in it but do you recommend adjusting the cable or just changing the gearbox oil?

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
You could change the oil. Check the gear stick isn't flopping back as this might be putting a bit of pressure on the selector which in turn will be trying to engage a gear this may wear the bulking rings on the syncro which will make your gear change notchy and difficult.
It maybe that it's just cold. Oil is allot thicker when it's cold.
Im not an expert on aircooled vw's buy any means. But I know quite allot about cars having been around them for most of my childhood and all of my adult life.

·
Registered
986 Posts
definately clutch as if the clutch were disengageing properly you would not creep the lack of proper dissengagement will also make gear changes poor and rapidly knacker your syncros.

but having no free play and not disengageing means something is wrong, so either cable is duff or the the conduit is collapsing.

JB

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers boys. It's a 71 bus. I think i'll try adjusting the cable and see what that does but i may try it when he's warmed up a bit first as i've never noticed it before the other day when it was freezing cold

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
Had similar in the past on mine but only when cold & moby on here suggested changing the gearbox fluid. Worked for me but it might not for you but if it hasn't been changed for a couple of years it's worth doing anyway

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Flat4.
I'm fitting a split charge relay this weekend but still have a dynamo. Is this possible and if so what colour wires on the regulator do I patch into?

P.s where is your garage?

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
Garage is attached to my house - but I spend more time in there than in the house hence <

What's your van look like might have seen it about?

Not sure on the electrics but will pm you a no of someone local who should know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.