Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I take bus reducton boxes and install them on my bug. If so what would I have to change?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
You'd need modified springplates.The bus(55-67) has wider torsion housing than a bug and different number of splines on the torsion bar itself...Unless you use barndoor axles which are the same width.(pre 55)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol. so how big of gap will there be between the spring plates and the mounting bracket. Can I use spacers? And i want to do this do i can get rise and move my tires out farther on me dunebuggy/sandrail.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to do this do I can get rise the ride hight and move my tires out farther so they dont hit off the tubes on me dunebuggy/sandrail.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
you can bolt trekker stuff right up to the back en of your beetle, the only slight advanatage of using late split bus stuff is the wideing of the track, but you'll have as much hassel with the springplate splines ie hybrid of the two....

like i said, swap your std swing axle/IRS box for Trekker stuff, i did this with my mate Rob who fitted it all up to his Baja.... looky here....

more info there....

http://www.bajaclub.co.uk/phpBB3/vi...sid=f21b4e491b5b5fb413d6b38c1a92bf08&start=20

+ since the early S/A trekker stuff is wide5, you either have to run wide 5 wheels on the rear, or like Rob, run addaptors which will increase the trak buy a good 20mm overall.... which is nice for off roading!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one problem i dont have much money and all i got acess to is a chassy out of a bus. and i cant change the rear torsion housing to the wider one on me buggy unless I unscrew 500 screws and cut off the rolecage...lol

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you've already got a bus gearbox and reduction boxes you just need the Trekker spacers and springplates. Or fabricate your own laydown adapters. I don't have any links handy but there are a few offroad websites that show them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
today me and my dad went to pick up the reduction boxes that we were buying and found out they already had homemade brackets to fit the bug body!! saves us some work. this wheekend we are putting them on. 100$ for the tranny, reduction boxes, custom chassy, and a perfect front end with brand new brakes.

·
Registered
12,492 Posts
drive a type 181 thing with reduction boxes for about ooohhh say 450 miles at about 60-70 mph, then make your decision....DONT DO IT!!!

yes looks nice but they can make your ears bleed...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry to bring up a old post but just a follow up on what I done. We got the reduction on works perfect, "there not loud "or is it the exost draining them out" just funny to drive with when you give it the gas to rases up instead of down, kinda cool I think.
when your going through the woods and want to get over a stump just hop right over it". if we never got the reduction boxes we would have alot of trouble down the road, we found that the inside of the transaxle we were using was full of metal shavings and rusted to death so we just used the transaxle that came with the reduction boxes "same one". They gave my buggy alot of low end torque I can do fishtails ~~~ for fun off a dead stop. I would recomend these to anybody who is building a buggy.

First gear is on a funny spot on a vw not over to the left, but in the middle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts