Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
buying motorbility cars after end of lease(updated)

has anyone had any experience of this?,ive heard that the cars are overpriced,i want to buy my mums car when the lease ends in march,bust ive heard a few stories.anyone help?

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
the cars are seriously overpriced,they stockpile them and try to sell them off to the trade if they dont get the price they want they go to auction

·
Registered
480 Posts
My mum was going to get on on her mobility plan but decided it was not worth it coz it would never be our so she went for one on hp and the deal worked out cheaper. I wouldn't buy it just go to the auctions in stead... Just my opinion.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ill chase it to the auction then :D ,i think itll go back to the main dealer,but i have a couple of mates in there who'll keep tabs on it.
i heard motability used to lose money hand over fist,so theyve got quite strict about damage,if they want to make money on the car after someone has paid a 3 year lease,then thats just wrong.

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
Defo dont do it through mobility horrendous way of doing it where they still basically leasing it or something like that.

However as mentioned above they sell bloody cheaply at auction especially if heavily adapted.

You then get the adaption kit to sell off as well.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers guys,its not adapted,i drive it 4 my mum.my wife loves it and wants to buy it,might strat looking now for summat else,ive just seen a 52 reg polo gt on autotrader for 4700! or thereabouts.think ill give motability a ring tomorrow.

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
blug said:
ill chase it to the auction then :D ,i think itll go back to the main dealer,but i have a couple of mates in there who'll keep tabs on it.
i heard motability used to lose money hand over fist,so theyve got quite strict about damage,if they want to make money on the car after someone has paid a 3 year lease,then thats just wrong.
the thing with a motability car is any damage to it when you hand it back you have to pay for,so it is in your interests to look after it.i doubt if you will follow it to the auction m8,it sometimes sits in a yard while they wait to see if it gets sold before it ends up in the auctions.i have said this before but i strongly advise against people going to auctions. i have been buying and selling cars for 20 yrs and i still get caught out at the auction.so dont do it,you dont have time to check it over ,drive it or anything

·
Registered
470 Posts
All lease cars are badly looked after including motability, they use shit oil, and don't spend a penny on them when there coming to the end of lease, steer clear if I was you.

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
dellow said:
All lease cars are badly looked after including motability, they use shit oil, and don't spend a penny on them when there coming to the end of lease, steer clear if I was you.
most lease cars are very well looked after,if it is a maintenace included contract then it is free to the leasee,if it is not the onus is on the leasee and there are finacial penalties if the service schedules are not adhered to.motability cars are generaly looked after in the main dealers,again as maintenance is included.all of them are mot'd when they come up to 3 yrs before they are sold

·
Registered
26,995 Posts
dellow said:
really......when i was in a main dealers the motorbility cars got everything.....used the same oil as everything else....i personally gave them 110%........in my experience working in main dealers ......i have NEVER seen what you describe

·
Torque is not cheap
14,541 Posts
Contrary to what has been typed on this thread (largely by people who quite clearly have no idea what they are on about :rolleyes: ), you should buy your mums car from Motability.

Your mum will be offered it at a price which is above trade price that dealers can buy it, but less than a retail price that dealers will ask for the car. Your mum will have had the car from new, and you know how well itís been driven and cared for during the 3 years she has had the car.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My old man has bought a few motobility cars at auction(bridgewater). They are always low mileage, full service history. He always checks condition before they go through, no bumps and scrapes. And he always makes a couple of hundred selling them private. He's not greedy just trying to stretch his pension out. He's never had one come back and bite him, mind you he is very selective. Find out where your nearest motobility auction is and give it a go, of course all auctions are a lottery but you buy it you take your chances. Pick a price guide book in Smiths, parkers is as good as any. Don't go over px price and you should be alright. If it all goes tits up, stick it back through the next auction, some one else will buy it. Caveat emptor or something?

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
Topbloke said:
Contrary to what has been typed on this thread (largely by people who quite clearly have no idea what they are on about :rolleyes: ), you should buy your mums car from Motability.

Your mum will be offered it at a price which is above trade price that dealers can buy it, but less than a retail price that dealers will ask for the car. Your mum will have had the car from new, and you know how well itís been driven and cared for during the 3 years she has had the car.
So have you had experience on motability then Weve had 3 of them and the buy back is crap, nothing to do with condition etc just the condition of sale as they offset the hire charge etc.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
i remember valeting an ex motorbility car when i used to do that work, was a green renault megane, the engine knocked like a bastard and, im using by motorbility you mean cars for disabled people. the one i did, took 6 hours to sort out previous owners of said motorbility car were to be fair incontinet and the car stank of piss and was all in the seats. thats my only dealings with them

·
Torque is not cheap
14,541 Posts
Nic B-C said:
So have you had experience on motability then Weve had 3 of them and the buy back is crap, nothing to do with condition etc just the condition of sale as they offset the hire charge etc.
I have extensive knowledge on this topic. Please explain what you mean as 'buy back' Nic

·
Registered
234 Posts
Topbloke said:
I have extensive knowledge on this topic. Please explain what you mean as 'buy back' Nic
Hello, just coming in on the end of thread,I've bought ex-mobility, always from BCA, normally from Blackbushe coz the selections better, Bridgewater OK but have to be a bit more selective. visit www.british-car-auctions.co.uk and give um a call, if you're luck enough you can pick up a low mileage car that might just be coming up to its third birthday, nip into your local franchised dealer,buy an extra manufactuers warrany for a few £100 just to give piece of mind or buy a afterwarranty from www.warrantydirect.co.uk.
Cheeper auction house might be westbury car auctions, wiltshire, cheaper than BCA but not much choice and often a bit used and abused!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
My Missus last car (pug 106) was bought from motability around 6-7 years ago. Excellent buy in my opinion, ran like clockwork until we sold it on earlier this year (replaced it with a lupo - yay!:D)

I certainly wouldn't shy away from getting another one.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
My Boss bought an ex mobility from an auction about a monthy ago. Paid very little money it was low mileage and it's a corking little car.

I'd say do it. And as some would say FTW!!!1!

:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts