Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering has anyone insulated there engine bays?? if so what with and how?? my splitty is so loud due to engine noise you have to shout when you have your foot down so as the people in the back can hear you... i guess this is probably normal but just wondered if anyone has successfully insulated there engine bay for noise reduction, if so what method did you use and where?
thanks in advance for your flurry of informative and detaled replys! :)

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Roof flashing and Laminant flooring underlay is the cheapest method. I did that on my beetle, both sides of the firewall, then get some Jute wadding or some of that foam stuff that you find in posh cars from the scrappy and glue that on aswell!

Make sure that it follows the contours of the panel for best insulation. and use self adhesive flashing, from B&Q or Wickes and then glue everything else with contact adhesive. Take breaks cause it is fumey stuff :crazy:

Al

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
al_kaholik said:
Roof flashing and Laminant flooring underlay is the cheapest method. I did that on my beetle, both sides of the firewall, then get some Jute wadding or some of that foam stuff that you find in posh cars from the scrappy and glue that on aswell!

Make sure that it follows the contours of the panel for best insulation. and use self adhesive flashing, from B&Q or Wickes and then glue everything else with contact adhesive. Take breaks cause it is fumey stuff :crazy:

Al
did you notice much of an improvement?

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
I put the stuff all over the floor, inner wings, front bulk head etc. Road noise was reduced greatly. Unfortunately for engine noise the previous owner had just welded some sheet metal in, so the engine noise reduction was disappointing. However with the imporvement in road noise and rain noise I would say that it would work well to dampen the sound of the engine on a genuine panel

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess any noise reduction on what i got would be an improvement to what its like at the moment.....
is this the sort of stuff.. ??

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
many thanks al, i'll see what jems my local scrappy holds!
cheers!

·
Registered
490 Posts
im using industrial sound deadening foam its around half inch thick onn the floor pans rear luggage area rear quater panels, havnt had it out on the road yet so cant comment on the noise, but with windows out when i put my head inside the car the radio in the garage was noticable quiter :crazy:

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,529 Posts
I second what Al_kaholik says. Ive used roof flashing on all my panels and doors. Generally makes the doors shut with a nice thud rather than a tinny clatter. I then filled my panels with very good quality rubber backed capet (laminate underlay). The panels were all sealed with polythene sheet (vapour barrier), the floor and rear bulkhead was then ply lined, laminate on top of that on the floor and carpet then bed on the bulkhead.

So quiet now - and warm too !

Ado

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
elajf1 said:
I second what Al_kaholik says. Ive used roof flashing on all my panels and doors. Generally makes the doors shut with a nice thud rather than a tinny clatter. I then filled my panels with very good quality rubber backed capet (laminate underlay). The panels were all sealed with polythene sheet (vapour barrier), the floor and rear bulkhead was then ply lined, laminate on top of that on the floor and carpet then bed on the bulkhead.

So quiet now - and warm too !

Ado
and it still moves?? :D

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
#The expensive option is dynamat - essentially purpose constructed polymer for the job. Though in essence its just flashing!

Saying that I will be using it in my next one on the roof as its acoustic deadening properties are better than flashing and underlay together! :eek: Pans will get the same treatment as I did this time, as will the bulkhead and firewall. Anywhere that isn't visible to the eye. I did under the bonnet, on the fuel tank and generally in the luggage area with flashing. 2 rolls was enough and I have half of one left, which went on to do most of a friend's golf!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts