Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up 2 kittens at the weekend, they'll be about 12 weeks old when I get them and I haven't even started getting prepared for their arrival.

Any tips on settling them in, litter training, any little extras I might need for them?
So far on the list i have beds, travel box, litter tray, food. I'm just worried I'm going to forget something.

I'm picking them up in the beetle too and it's almost a 2 hour journey, is this a good idea or should I get a nice quiet hire car? Any tips to make the journey less stressful for them?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
OMG, you have to have the little black one and the one on the left. (not that they'll still be in that position when you go to get them)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Token said:
Any tips on settling them in, litter training, any little extras I might need for them?
So far on the list i have beds, travel box, litter tray, food. I'm just worried I'm going to forget something.
Don't think so, somewhere for them to sleep, something for them to eat and drink (keep the water fresh, or they'll be in the loo or your glass looking for fresh water), and somewhere to go to the loo you're fine. Don't forget lots of newspaper and cleaning stuff for all the little accidents. ;)

Token said:
I'm picking them up in the beetle too and it's almost a 2 hour journey, is this a good idea or should I get a nice quiet hire car? Any tips to make the journey less stressful for them?
I think the motion bothers them more than the noise. Put them in together, and if you can, bring someone along to steady them and chat to them.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The black one is gorgeous. And so are the others.

The hard part is not letting them go out at all for a couple of weeks.
They will want to, and they will beg, but don't let them.

Occasionally kittens will give you trouble with exposed wiring, but that is rare.
They WILL climb on EVERYTHING. To make your house safe for them, and from them, make sure you don't have any piles of stuff like I am prone to. Cover or remove anything fluffy unless you want it moulted on and scratched to pieces.

Most of all - give them loads of attention and have fun! Kittens are great, and if they feel totally comfortable around you they wont grow up stroppy
Both my cats are now adults and totally soft in the head. They never bite or scratch and love fuss.
The first time one falls alseep in your arms you'll melt.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Beena said:
OMG, you have to have the little black one and the one on the left. (not that they'll still be in that position when you go to get them)
What beena said /\ /\ :D

Do you have litter for the litter tray ?? when i first got my cat i all ways ran out and ended up using old news paper we did the litter tray thing for about 4 weeks but the house started to smell alittle so we got rid of it and everytime they weed we just put them out side in the rain they soon lreaned not to wee in the house and always go out the cat flap :D

·
Registered
607 Posts
You have to take the black one - if you take two tabbys it'll just be too confusing for the first couple of weeks and they won't learn their names (not that they'll bother answering to them or anything - cats are way too aloof for that!).

Cats are weird with cars - i've had some that hate it, and some that love it, and some that just don't care.... I've been on a 1/2 mile trip with one in the engine bay (not on purpose) which didn't seem fussed by it at all. One that was terrified at anything other than 45mph, but above that was fine as long as she could see out the window (tricky if you're the only one in the car though....)

If they're not toilet trained already, you'll be needing a big bag of patience.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Cats tend to sniff around when they need to go to the loo the best thing to do is keep picking them up when they look like they need to go and put them in the litter tray they might not go straight away but keep trying. Also if they do have a little accident clean it up and put the litter tray where they had the accident they always tens to go back to the same place. Try and get the same cat litter that the kittens are using at the moment you can always change the litter to what you like when they are use to going in the litter tray.

When you are on your way back with them in the car just cover the seat with waterproff stuff incase of accidents and cover the boxers up so its dark for them they don't get as stressed if they are in the dark.

Good luck in choosing your cats they all look very sweet. :hug:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Token said:
I have to pick two of these little rascals :)

If I could take them all I would, it's going to be a hard choice.
are my eyes playing me up or are they silver tabbys, there quite rare as normal moggies. if there british shorthairs make sure they have all the right papers. give em plenty of attention they'll love you forever

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Good luck with the new kitties :)

I know what you mean, i would want to take them all too :hug: , no cats for me for a while yet though :(

Very good advice about making it a bit dark for them as they wont be that stressed and also take someone along too if possible to keep re-assuring them. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
wrap a hot water bottle in a towel and put kittens on it, the warmth and texture is said to simulate its mother, it made ours settle and sleep :hangloose

good luck

we want piccy's!! :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Ruby Soho said:
wrap a hot water bottle in a towel and put kittens on it, the warmth and texture is said to simulate its mother, it made ours settle and sleep
That might be a good way to keep them calm in the car too.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice. They were abandoned by their mother who is a stray that keeps appearing in my aunties neighbours barn to have a litter and no one can catch her, she has produced so many kittens that there is no one left locally to rehome them.
We had already decided to take the black one because she's a girl and we're going to name her Samba. We just have to pick a grey one which will be called Steve (or Stevie for a girl)
I've taken a few days off work to settle them in, and I'm expecting to be in for a messy time! Good advice on keeping newspaper at hand though.

I promise I'll post pics when they arrive home :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
don't forget to sort out their vaccinations (if not had them already) and worming routine. worth looking at pet insurance too... i've seen a lot of owners bring puppies/kittens to vets within only 1 or 2 days of having them- they're young and accidents happen! people just havent got round to sorting out insurance and get wacked with a huge bill: not the ideal start!

p.s. they are way cute, i would def have the black one

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
A few months ago I also got two 12 week old kittens. My front room was prepared...

they have NEVER slept in the bed!!!

I opened their box after a noisy journey in my bug (just let them miaow...don't keep looking at them cos you'll crash like I nearly did...cover the box if need be so they are calmed) and just let them have a mooch about...

Wasn't long before they were...

Just don't worry too much. They will have each other for company. As said previously, prepare your home as you would for children arriving...anything that they could choke on, break, destroy with claws etc, remove from the room you are keeping them in initially. Give them peace and quiet to start off with but stroke them and pick them up so they get used to being handled asap.

Most of all, enjoy them, play with them and very soon you will bond and all fall in love...especially when they are hungry! :D

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jennybugs said:
They are sooo cute! I love this pic :D

I think I'm just getting over worried - I just want them to be happy and for everything to go smoothly!
I'm just totally super excited about bringing them home!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts