Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Finally trying to get the Spyder back on the road, and have been working on the engine I bought for it about 12 years ago, which came out of a car that had wrecked at Santa Pod.
The engine is a fairly lairy 1835cc lump and most of the info I'd been given has been borne out when working on it...
...However, the spec said it had a Eurorace K cam in it.
I've been trying to work out what the specs might be on the cam, as I'm trying to establish if the 1.25:1 rockers I have will work with it, but all the info I can find on Eurorace and their cams is about Type 4 cams.
We pulled the oil pump to see what it said on the cam, and there is simply a letter K stamped on the cam - no other information.
I'd be very very surprised if someone had fitted a T4 cam in a T1 engine - does anyone know if European Motorworks ever made Type 1 cams and, if so what the lifts and durations might be?
Any other ideas as to what the cam might be if it's not a Eurorace cam?
Many thanks and best regards,
Timo

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had a euro race H grind in a 1776 which was perfect for the size of engine. So your K is too much for an 1835 motor. They don't make euro race H of K grinds any more. The 1 built was over 30 years ago. Type 4 version are still available. Might be old stock though.
An Engle 120 on an 1835 with dual 40 dells will idle smooth

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was aware it was a 'race' engine, which only ran well at high RPM, but I'm still amazed that I've not been able to find any information on Eurorace Type 1 cams on the internet.
I managed to get hold of James Calvert (I was told by the guy I got it from that it was an old Stateside Tuning built engine) and James told me a K grind is 300x0.448 and therefore not suitable for the 1.25:1 rockers... ...It's all a learning curve.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yeah. There's loads of old cam names and configurations for aircooled motors where the info just doesn't get logged on the net. Your cam might be over 30 years old. A cc increase would help it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts