Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got tyre rub on full lock on the arches and like the look the van just the way it is...ie - don't want smaller tyres (they're low pro 17/45/205 anyway) or narrowed beam.

The alloys have about 2" of material before they mate to the discs....can i just machine, say, 10mm off to tuck them in slightly? They are near identical to the 16's i used to have and they had hardly any material there.

Any thoughts????

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Do you mean off the hub of the wheel itself?

I have thought about this before and wondered if it could be done as well... I am watching with interest.

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
I have certainly machined alloy rims to get the correct offset. There is nothing stopping this as long as there is enough material to do the deed

Minillites and WolfRace were manufatured with lots of metal in the casting/forging and then turned to suit.
Minilites today will give you any offset you ask for.

I know nothing about these weird EMPI and other stuff.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I do not see why not but you would have to give consideration to the quality of casting/wheel the amount of material it would leave you between the mating surface and the stud hole and also recognise the fact that you might need to obtain shorter bolts.

I've seen Wolfrace wheels milled down but they werent machined as much as 10mm...probably was about half that. They were good solid castings with plenty of material to work with. some cheaper wheels have less material and even have voids in the castings :eek: .......I sent a set of 100+ wheels back because they had air pockets around the bolt holes :eek:

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
My 225 45 17 rubber was catching the arches on full lock and the mot wouldnt allow it.A mate of mine simply adjusted the boltsd that limit the turning circle until they didnt rub anymore.Turning circle wasnt great but still better than my dads 3 year old shogun(should read mitsubishi five point turn shogun!)

·
Registered
92 Posts
A few years ago, I had a job at a local engineering works who were subcontracting from TSW. TSW made one casting for each style of wheel, polished and painted them, and our job was to turn or mill the inner bosses to the required offsets, then put in the bolt holes on the necessary p.c.d's.
We did hundreds upon hundreds of the damn things!
If you have sufficient meat on your wheels, there is no reason why any competent machine shop couldn't alter your offsets. Especially if milled, this can be a very rapid (read- cheap) operation. With jobbing workshops around here asking around £30 p.h. you should get a set of five wheels done for under £50 as long as the outside rim is proud of the tyre. If it isn't, let the air out first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts