Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi having just bought a brand new fuel tank for my golf gti mk1 i was wondering if i can spray hammerite to protect it thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
andycoco said:
i can spray hammerite to protect it
You can, but it will fall off with (in my experience) fuel spillage.
Stove enamel, POR15 or similar from Frost is better.

·
Registered
10,721 Posts
Raph said:
You can, but it will fall off with (in my experience) fuel spillage.
Stove enamel, POR15 or similar from Frost is better.
Agreed.I personaly wouldnt use it on my car.looks good till it starts to crack and then look shat and is a bitch to remove.

·
Registered
247 Posts
For a mk1 gti the tank is hidden underneath the car, above the axle (if my memory serves me), and so unlike a beetle where its going to be on display you really need to protect it rather than make it look nice.

I would go for some rubberised undersealer, it'll be cheap, thick and once it goes rubbery wont chip or peel off.... tough as auld boots

hope that helps....

·
Registered
168 Posts
marky123 said:
For a mk1 gti the tank is hidden underneath the car, above the axle (if my memory serves me), and so unlike a beetle where its going to be on display you really need to protect it rather than make it look nice.

I would go for some rubberised undersealer, it'll be cheap, thick and once it goes rubbery wont chip or peel off.... tough as auld boots

hope that helps....
Granted he doesn't want to go for looks, but POR15 will work as well as any undersealer because it will shrug dirt more easily and has the added advantage of looking nice everytime he's under the car or it goes for its MOT!

·
Registered
10,721 Posts
AngelVenomous said:
POR 15 is the dog's!

I always coat fuel tanks in it whenever I have to take the fuel tank out of a vehicle for any reason.
would you reccomend it for doing my chassis and under arches etc?

i want my bus to last but dont like the thick tar shat like waxoil.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
vdubsmudge said:
would you reccomend it for doing my chassis and under arches etc?

i want my bus to last but dont like the thick tar shat like waxoil.
Hell yeah! That's what mine and Mr Blue Bug's Bays are painted with underneath.

POR 15 is very thin and leaves the metal with a kinda shiney almost coachpaint-like finish. A little goes quite a long way. Only trouble is it drips and when it gets onto your skin it'll stay there for a few weeks!

·
Registered
853 Posts
andycoco said:
hi having just bought a brand new fuel tank for my golf gti mk1 i was wondering if i can spray hammerite to protect it thanks
I once restored my dads old Suffolk Punch mower and painted the fuel tank with copious coats of red hammerite. He was dead chuffed with the finished job. Then he spilt some petrol when filling the tank and the 3 coats of hammerite just dissolved and ran away leaving traces of the makers original paint intact. You decide ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
AngelVenomous said:
Hell yeah! That's what mine and Mr Blue Bug's Bays are painted with underneath.

POR 15 is very thin and leaves the metal with a kinda shiney almost coachpaint-like finish. A little goes quite a long way. Only trouble is it drips and when it gets onto your skin it'll stay there for a few weeks!
Leaves a rock hard finish that wont chip.
Not the cheapest stuff, but i want my Bug to last!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
POR15 FTW!!

Wayne did our tank, chassis and floor when he did the work on the bus.

he also managed to do his yard floor, his arms and his dog as it does get everywhere!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ive heard about por15 and wondered if its any good. By the sounds of it it is.

Is it ok to do the boot floor with or does it go sticky on hot days.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
mr blue bug said:
POR15 FTW!!

Wayne did our tank, chassis and floor when he did the work on the bus.

he also managed to do his yard floor, his arms and his dog as it does get everywhere!
Sorry for sounding like an oldie but what does FTW mean?

The yard floor is still covered with splatters of the stuff!

JACKS 66 said:

It won't go sticky - once it's dry, it's dry forever. Drying properly does take a few days though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
JACKS 66 said:

It's not good, it's a whole new different type of good!
Deep glossy smooth enamel finish that laughs in the face of dirt, taunts road salt and grabs the testicles of rust and shoves them up it's arse...

Ahem, i'll go for a lay down now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
i spent days stripping my 58 bugs tank, painted the inside with por 15 tank sealing paint, then cleaned the outside with the degreasing and metal ready stuff...instantly went orange with rust (said it might on the tin i think) then sprayed it with cellulose..and looked brilliant...now when petrol leaks out it strips the paint and it looks like a dogs dinner.

can the por15 be sprayed on or is it a really good finish with a brush? brushing it would be so much easier. it really doesnt come off with petrol?? been thinking of trying to find some fuel resistant paint for a while

1 - 16 of 16 Posts