Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys,

i replaced the pans and chanels in my bug last year, and the underside of the pans are starting to get a bit of surface rust and they are looking a bit shitty.

i painted them with hammerite stone chip shield - the stuff with the added waxoil.

basically, i want to wire brush them, and paint something thats gonna last over the top... i cant be arsed messin around stripping it completely off and i dont wanna have to paint them every year... im not bothered how nice it looks really, as long as its black and tidy... no show car finish 4 me...

i can only see rust bullet in silver, but i guess its overpaintable with some black soneship again, but i dunno if id be better off with black por15?

if the por15 is the way forward, which of their products sounds best suited to what i need?

cheers

mabbo

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
naughty said:
email simon hall off here, he does rust bullet in black it's a new product for them if you can't find his email address pm me and i'll give you it :)
you couldn't pm me his email could you ? Ordered some at the start of the month but it aint arrived yet so was just wondering if it's been sent. I've tried PM'ing but no response.

Cheers

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ive started using rust bullet, i heard bad things about POR15 not adhering properly and flaking off. Rust bullet seems really good and dries rock hard, going to do the floor pan of one of my projects with it. for the best long term protection your best off cleaning the surface back to bare metal in my opinion, eventually any rust inhibitor will give up the fight.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I would wire brush and paint the POR-15 on - and I am one of the people with "flaking" problems. It isn't the POR that caused my problem but the top coat I put on - you don't need this.

I had POR-15 sand blasted from a floorpan and I was charged double to what I normally pay (for a regular 40 year old VW pan) due to the fact that it is so durable - EXACTLY what you want :)

I have a chassis sitting outside in standing water that I painted 7 years ago in POR-15, there is still not a spec of rust on it.

tom.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
568 Posts
bug

Hi,
I'm also looking to paint my pan, but finding all the different paints a bit of a nightmare.

Had a look at the POR-15 stuff and not sure which is the best for floorpans as they seem to do stuff for petrol tanks, boat hulls etc.

Anyone give me the name of the right paint?

cheers

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mabbo said:
hey,

the only black version i can see on the rust bullet website is : http://www.rustbullet.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=29 - it is not listed as automotive.

i might give that bad boy a try...

cheers guys

mabbo
Rust Bullet have brought out a new version of the Black Shell for automotive use, the product is brand new and consequently hasn't made it onto the website shop yet, but give simon a call his number is on the website and he'll be able to give you all the info

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Mabbo said:
basically, i want to wire brush them, and paint something thats gonna last over the top... i cant be arsed messin around stripping it completely off and i dont wanna have to paint them every year...
cheers

mabbo
I dont think that por or rustbullet will adhere very well to a non metallic surface, personally I think if you want it to last you're going to have to strip all the old paint and gunk off otherwise the older paint you have got on there now will carry on peeling off. In my opinion your other best bet is to regularly wash the crap off it and spray some waxoyl or similar on there like once or twice a year. sorry, i dont think there is a particularly quick fix!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts