Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today's the day that I make my decision about a 1971 bay I've been looking at... The owners are very kindly holding onto it until the end of today so i can make my decision.

I guess the main question I'm asking myself is... can I afford to do this beast up and keep it running.

I'm now on my 4th sleepless night wondering what I should do. I guess its just hard to visualise the fun of a summer with the van when I'm viewing it in the winter....

I'm just wondering how much you lot spend keeping your buses and bugs going..... and How many of you can really afford it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
weirdlittlebiscuit said:
Well today's the day that I make my decision about a 1971 bay I've been looking at... The owners are very kindly holding onto it until the end of today so i can make my decision.

I guess the main question I'm asking myself is... can I afford to do this beast up and keep it running.

I'm now on my 4th sleepless night wondering what I should do. I guess its just hard to visualise the fun of a summer with the van when I'm viewing it in the winter....

I'm just wondering how much you lot spend keeping your buses and bugs going..... and How many of you can really afford it.
If I'm honest it costs me more than I thought it would to keep my van on the road, but the main cause of this was the fact that it had'nt been on the road for a long time when I brought it. So the cosmetic stuff has been put on hold till i've saved up! Having said that, its all worthwhile when I drive around in it, always puts a smile on my face, priceless!!

DO IT,YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!!

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Here's what to do - get it through the MOT. Get the body work up to scratch and then sort the mechanics. So long as you do a good job first time round you can do the rest at your own pace. I've run short of money on mine, so it currently looks a fucking wreck inside (Half done interior, no speedo, gauges not quite in properly), but it's solid and runs sweet - ergo, I still daily it despite the fact I've done no work for about three months.

I don't think keeping it running is an issue, to be honest - look after it and it'll treat you well.

Problem with em tends to be that, to most folks, they're never ever finished. No matter how good it is, there's always another feature which you want to wangle in.

You can always sell it :) Try it, put it down to a life experience if it goes wrong. That's how i justified mine.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey weirdlittlebiscuit the very reason i got a t25 was seeing the amount of money and work my brother in law has to put into his bay. Don't get me wrong when the kids are older and i'm a bit better off i will get one but having to store a bay all winter and the costs to get it to a good standard are crazy. My t25 is solid and cost a fraction of what a bay was gonna cost me pm me ill tell you what i paid.

But its up to you dude. xx :D

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,332 Posts
Any car will cost you money to keep it going if you don't look after it - Bays are no different.

Our 72 has hardly cost us anything to keep on the road for 2yrs. Ok so it needs a fair bit of work now, but we bought it at the right price and got 2yrs of 100% reliable fun out of it.

With our other Bay we've spent a fair bit of money on it - new engine, brakes etc, but it's an Aussie import so rust isn't an issue and now all those bits are done, it'll go for years without needing anything other than normal maintainance.

Same as any other car really - except when stuff does go wrong it's normally much cheaper to fix! e.g if your engine broke in (say) a Mk4 Golf, if would cost you way more than if it broke in a Bay.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I meant to say if you want an honest opinion about the bus ask bus stop greg at busstopecosse and he might have a look he did for me. x

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,529 Posts
Yep they cost you more than you think, but then, as others have said, its usually due to you always wanting to change/add/improve something on it.

It depends how you view it. If its solid body wise (which mine thankfully is) then I see it as an investment and its my hobby. I can think of worse things to spend my money on.

Now, if I need to do some work on the bus or bug im happy to spend the cash. Yet im dreading parting with the cash to get the Lupo serviced next month, knowing that every mile I drive the thing it depreciates more. Plus it cost me more than the bay and bug did combined!!

Adrian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts