Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is offering a 6v eberspacher to me at low cost. My bus is 12v. Can you get a 12v to 6v dc/dc converter to power 6v equipment in a 12v car?

Alternatively, is there a way to charge a 6v battery with a 12v alternator.

In other words I want to have both 6v and 12v systems running at the same time. Is this crazy?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
you need a power converter ssp page 67 ac9989344 item no. 1 under voltage droppers
dont try charging from your bus it will kill the battery and possibly your alt/gen and or regulator maybe even burn your wiring loom

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
To charge a 6v with 12v, you need some sort of choke to limit the charging voltage. However, you can get voltage reducers to run 6v equipment from 12v. This would probably be the better way to do things. Your problem will be the amount of load you want to put on it. (Amps). What is the wattage of the 6v equipment you want to use? Then do the old watts = volts x amps thing.

There you are. Metalhead has it, page number and all. Smartarse :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found the part on the ssp website thanks to you part number. I have my doubts whether it would handle 20A to get the eber going, but these things are obviously about. Thanks for your help - any other advice? Has anyone actually done this successfully?

·
Highly Respected Member
13,501 Posts
Kango's method would work fine if you want to go to the trouble of 2 X 6V batteries.

If you fitted one 6V battery to run the eberspacher off, and used a voltage dropper to keep the 6V battery charged from the 12V one, you wouldn't need a 20 Amp rated dropper. Bear in mind the 'spacher only uses that sort of current during start up (to warm the glow plug) and that it's probably only 3 or 4 amps while running, so the 6V battery will smooth out the current a fair bit.

Or you could probably modify the 'spacher to run off 12V using resistors. If you can find out the exact current consumption specs of the 6V eberspacher model in question, and a circuit diagram, I should be able to work out what resistors you'll need, and where to fit them.

Dave.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr.Whippy said:
Kango's method would work fine if you want to go to the trouble of 2 X 6V batteries.

If you fitted one 6V battery to run the eberspacher off, and used a voltage dropper to keep the 6V battery charged from the 12V one, you wouldn't need a 20 Amp rated dropper. Bear in mind the 'spacher only uses that sort of current during start up (to warm the glow plug) and that it's probably only 3 or 4 amps while running, so the 6V battery will smooth out the current a fair bit.

Or you could probably modify the 'spacher to run off 12V using resistors. If you can find out the exact current consumption specs of the 6V eberspacher model in question, and a circuit diagram, I should be able to work out what resistors you'll need, and where to fit them.

Dave.
That's a very knid offer - exactly what my father said (he's a retired electronics engineer). I might try emailing Eberspacher direct during the week and see if they have a ready made scheme to follow. You never know your luck.....

·
www.SS9Design.co.uk
12,555 Posts
it's not ideal, but i charge my 6volt batteries with a 12 volt charger by using a spare 6volt battery. if you wire them in sequence (ie pos lead to battery 1, earth lead to battery 2, and a jump lead between the spare terminals!), it works ok!
i'm no eberspacher buffer, but it may be possible to upgrade the power unit to cope with 12-volt - once the spark plug has fired, i can't imagine the power supply is very complex?!
any 'spacher experts out there with a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
any 'spacher experts out there with a wiring diagram?
He has to get the exact model # as there were many differences.
Some heaters had no spark plug at all.

The glow plug draws a very heavy current and when it is
switched on the voltage must be closely controlled.
Too low and the fuel won't ignite.
Too high and life will be short.

If I may add one more note: since this is going into a Bus,
the B2 or BN2 series heaters (if that is what has been
offered) are quite small for heating a Bus. I've done it
successfully by partitioning the cab from the cargo area,
but they won't heat the entire van.

If it's a larger unit, there is less of a problem.

Still, it seems as if running a 6V unit on 12V will
entail a lot of effort.
Perhaps swap the 6V unit with someone who needs a 6V heater?

http://www.type2.com/
has an excellent section on gas heaters and installation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts