Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having major troubles getting Flywheel off.

2" * 1" square steel tubing bolted to clutch bolts has bent, not strong enough.

Can you split engine, and rebuild without taking flywheel off.

Not fussed about re-shimming and all that, just want inside cleaned out, and replace big end bearings.

Reckon work i need do is mains, big ends, clean out, 1 conrod and back together.

Can i do this with flywheel on.


All pistons/conrods are now off.


cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Broke 2 halfrauds professional breaker bars trying to do mine yesterday. Took it to my local garage this morning and he undone it in about 4 seconds with his windy gun while the engine was still in the golf's boot. Charged £5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,036 Posts
1/2" drive? Not big enough. 3/4" drive minimum for that job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,245 Posts
VAN72 said:
Having major troubles getting Flywheel off.

2" * 1" square steel tubing bolted to clutch bolts has bent, not strong enough.

Can you split engine, and rebuild without taking flywheel off.

Not fussed about re-shimming and all that, just want inside cleaned out, and replace big end bearings.

Reckon work i need do is mains, big ends, clean out, 1 conrod and back together.

Can i do this with flywheel on.

All pistons/conrods are now off.

cheers
I had to do exactly that as I could not get the flywheel undone. Clamped the crank in a large vice bolted to the bench still wouldn't budge. In the end went to a local machine shop where using their air gun and 3/4 drive and what they said was up to 1000lb/foot of torque they nearly gave up as well. They did eventually get it off, turns out some idiot had used Loctite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,696 Posts
Clarkson46 said:
turns out some idiot had used Loctite.
You're not serious? You mean you DON'T use loctite?
The problem here is not with the means of assembly,its with the means of disassembly.
Get a bigger bar.And restrain the block well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,245 Posts
Rad Dubs and Englishmen said:
You're not serious? You mean you DON'T use loctite?
The problem here is not with the means of assembly,its with the means of disassembly.
Get a bigger bar.And restrain the block well.
The idiot before me used Loctite to retain everything the Flywheel, Fan pulley and just about anything you care to name. Which adds interest when stripping an engine. I only use Loctite to retain stud in the case where necessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,245 Posts
Rad Dubs and Englishmen said:
Flywheels should be loctited in my opinion.
Ever seen one let go? Not pretty.
Why? If it were necessary then VW would have specified it. If the flywheel is correctly torqued up then what is the problem? Perhaps Moby or Speedy Jim may wish to comment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Rad Dubs and Englishmen said:
Flywheels should be loctited in my opinion.
Ever seen one let go? Not pretty.
Aggreed everyone i have done i have used it you just need a fat bastard to take it off (Thats where i come in handy) and a long scaffold pole.

Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
- what he said ^^ Even a thin bastard like me can do it with a scaffold pole - you will
need a pal to steady the block plus a T-bar - not a breaker bar as they err, break !

Cheers

james
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
my skinny m8, was swinging on a scafold bar. jumping up and down like a monkey. 18 stone and it undooos no problem. Keep up the kebabs i say! even women like the bigger bloke. honest!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,587 Posts
Anniesam said:
Took it to my local garage this morning and he undone it in about 4 seconds with his windy gun while the engine was still in the golf's boot. Charged £5.
I've got one of those ;)

cost me £90 but spec says it'll remove over 500ft/lbs or torque. Much easier than all this scaffolding bar bollocks!

Just checked the spec, apparently it'll remove 600ft/lbs and do up 350. well worth the cash
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top