Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just starting the thread off, Tomorrow Im picking up my Canadian Blue Shell complete with Sidepods and Blue flaked seats from Mel Hubbard at www.manxbuggies.co.uk.

My donor car is a 1970 1500 beetle that I currently drive, Lots of work and money has gone into the engine brakes and running gear already but its time for a change of track now and my fingers are crossed for a fantastic summer next year :D

Pics and progress to follow asap, any tips as I go along the buggy building journey please let me know.

Cheers Guys :hangloose

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Looks nice, is the body in that worse a state?! Keep it up!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
stujamuk said:
The body is pretty good so I will be selling it on once removed. Nothing will go to waste :hangloose
Yeah thats good, the shell looks to have original heater channels and relatively unpatched inner wings which is quite rare on a 70's bug! :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont be fooled with the shell, it certainly had its bad points, Since these pics I have had the front nearside inner wing completely replaced and one of the heater/runningboard closing plates plus whole front clip and all new wings and bonnet.

To finish will still require plenty of work for paint prep/stripping down etc. not bad if you have the time but when your looking at £2000+ for a full respray and then the hassle of rebuilding it again its just beyond my budget and space is tight. If you can do this yourself your sorted :D

Will make someone a fantastic project though and id rather it went on to be a show winner, as it deserves to be.

If anyone is interested in the shell watch this space and as soon as it is ready to come off I will put an advert on the post. will possibly split parts too but rather sell most of it as one :D

------------------------------------

Just picked up the van for collecting the body so im all set for an early start, 300mile round trip so I will be knackered im sure. Not used to driving something so big! :eek:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the shell today from Mel and a few bits from flatlands very pleased with the quality, the seats in flake too look amazing!!!!!

Check out the pics...

The shell on trestles outside Mel's workshop

Going into the van

Fits nicely inside the van and Im pretty pleased as you can see :D

150 miles later back home outside the garage

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Lovely uncut dash

The sidepods

The seat backs, ooh look at them sparkle :D

The seat covers are very well made as you can see

Rear engine cage with numberplate mounts

Front nudge bar

Roll bar with 3 point inertia seatbelt mounts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

New tank modified for aero filler

The aero filler cap (locking one)

Rear support and steering support

Chrome on brass headlamps with intergrated indicators for that clean look

Thats all for now more to follow as I progress, hope to get a good shot of the flake in the sun tomorrow.

Thanks for looking :hangloose

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good quality body and parts from flatlands.
You will be pleased with the end result Ive been out for a blast in my buggy tonight, it put a big grin on my face every time.
Keep the posts coming.
Regards Paulus :D :D

·
Registered
10,867 Posts
ooh !! get them nice shiny bits of that nasty scratchy floor and gravel :D
look forward to follwing this thread,
nice colour, what sort of look you going for on the buggy ?...apart from the bling :hangloose

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Blimey about time the forum got back up ad running! :rolleyes:

Some more pics and a little progress...

Cutting out of the Fuel tank recess, done by drilling pilot holes for corners and angle grinder with metal cutting disc for the straight edges and shaping, worked a treat and only needed minor filing and light sanding to finish.

Headlight holes predrilled at 4.5mm to mark centre and then step drilled slowly to make sure the desired hole was reached without damaging the glass.

Headlights trial fitted. Unfortunately there isnt a flat area under the body for the nut to do up so I fabricated a bit of plumbing joint and washer to make a nice tight fit.

Headlights and tank trial fit.

Em holding the screen in place to see how it looks

Another shot of the colour

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
negative pitch said:
ooh !! get them nice shiny bits of that nasty scratchy floor and gravel :D
look forward to follwing this thread,
nice colour, what sort of look you going for on the buggy ?...apart from the bling :hangloose
Its ok no damage done, they are also stainless rather than chrome so any scratched can be polished out.

Not sure on the look yet think it will be one of those build it and see projects. I like the classic 70's surfer look though so it will be along those lines rather than a street racer buggy. Although I fancy street racer performance :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Giggle Squirrel said:
Ooh. You don't happen to know the paint code do you?

I think the AtlanticaBug needs to be Canadian Blue... :lol:
Not sure of a paint code, try speaking to Mel he may know, Its actually not painted as such, but sprayed in the clear gelcoat before the black coat and then glassing, Im assuming you can spray the same flake on black and build up lacquer after, kind of reverse of the buggy process.

I have uploaded another pic with a closeup :hangloose

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
phil5556 said:
Cool, I'll race you ;) Mine's started now too :)
Great stuff, You will probably win the race as an unexpected chance to buy our first house may be on the cards so the buggy may have to take a back seat for a little while :( not too long though :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The bar for the steering column support fitted to the underside of the dash, 4 holes drilled and countersunk, positioned under where the screen will fit to cover them.

A view from underneath the dash showing the support, the round washers at the end are from the windscreen mounts shown below.

Hidden screen mounts in position.

This is something like how will look once complete, trial fit of the bonnet, lights and screen on mounts.

The buggy has now been banished to my other garage as i will need to start preparing the beetle body soon, first I have a mini to get up and running and out/sold to make space.

more to come... :hangloose

1 - 20 of 59 Posts