Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I would use the search facility, but it's not working, just loads a blank page and says done (ARGH). So, I'm wondering what's better to have over winter really, a water resistant (more breathable but probably gets wetter in the rain) voyager cover, or a waterproof monsson cover? Bear in mind the voyager is about half the price.

Thanks

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
Don't know either of those products, but if your car is to be kept in a dry garage, all you need is a simple cotton sheet to keep the dust & crap from settling on the paintwork.

If you're keeping it outside, I would avoid any cover that actually touches the paintwork, waterproof or not. Better to have it exposed direct to the weather than have a cover (wet or dry) rubbing on the paint all the time. Just give it a good wash, then wax it whenever it looks a bit grubby.

Probably better still to keep driving it through the winter, but ideally avoid driving for a week or so after the roads have been gritted, to give the salt time to be washed away.

Dave.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got a Ghia that needs to be kept outside. Even though I do drive it throughout the winter, as I have to park beneath a tree and sometimes can't drive for a few weeks I bought a cover off Hamilton Classics:

http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/ProductInformation/CarCoversOutdoorMoltex.htm

I would agree with Mr. Whippy that uncovered or under a marquee / carport would be best (lots of air circulation is the key!), but if you feel you need a cover I'd recommend the one above.

If you have to drive soon after the roads have been gritted, make sure to hose off as much grit as you can (weather permitting) if you prefer metal to rust...

PM'ed you with some additional info.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
If you do end up using a cover, make sure the car is spotless and well waxed before you put it on, and the cover is completley clean on the inside.

When you take the cover off, be carefull how you fold it, make sure no c**p from the outside can get into the inside for the next time you use it.

IMHO, a good coat of wax is the best cover you can put on a car, though maybe if you have to park under one of those trees that drip sap I'd make an exception and consider a cover.

When I lived at home with my folks, I saved up and had a proper garage fitted as I was fed up with working on the drive. (admittedly, I persuaded my Dad to go halves with me on it, although I concreted the base myself.)

Dave.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
i have used an argos cover for the last 3 years with an old cotton breathable sheet underneath this was totally waterproof , and has no done no damage at all , but on warm dry days i usually take it off, as the cover only lasts around a year for £20 , i usually buy a new one just before every winter , only problem the new argos covers are breathable now which on heavy rain lets water through, which when it gets frosty will freeze the water between the cotton cover to beetle roof, so if anyone knows who sells totally waterproof car covers , please let me know, i also have a carcoon which is excellent , or you could try one of them covers which are like a pram roof , as no contact with car and are not a permanent fixture,,

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
The problem with covers touching the car is not so much rust, it's more that it's rubbing against the paintwork in places when the wind blows it.

If you're trying to protect a really good paint job, this can be a problem, as the constant rubbing eventually scuffs the finish.

Rust can also be a problem if the car gets wet and can't dry out.

IMHO, drive it - don't lay it up, if you have a garage, always put it away when it's dry, never when it's wet.

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

got my split parked under one off these little bit more money but worth it in the long run,plus there is ample room to work round it.

http://www.protech-shelters.co.uk/P...heavy_duty.html

1956 oval
1967 13 window split delux

Theres a bloke in Littleborough who sells a similar set up to this, it's made out of that white marquee stuff, for £200, he sells for less if your not bothered about having two back panels instead of a proper door. Maybe someone from that area has his number or email. He's on the Littleborough-Todmorden road, near a Chinese.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts