Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get online quotes for a 1 litre polo and the variation in prices is unbelievable!

Lowest so far was £157 with the highest at £1300 :eek:

I had a quote of just over £400 from VZi/HIC insurance who then rang me to see if I was interested taking it with them. When I explained that it was way too expensive she told me that many insurance companies are just not interested in insuring old, low value cars as they don't like paying out on claims when they get damaged and that they almost always have to be written off!

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
3,907 Posts
Isn't it retarded? I've just bought a new car, had to insure it - I'm female, 29 years old, been driving for over 12 years, clean license, no claims (although no ncb as been on classic policy for 9 years) just bought a little 1.0 runaround, 12 years old....£253 fully comp....lowest price, and that's with £200 comp excess...

·
Registered
19,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't it retarded? I've just bought a new car, had to insure it - I'm female, 29 years old, been driving for over 12 years, clean license, no claims (although no ncb as been on classic policy for 9 years) just bought a little 1.0 runaround, 12 years old....£253 fully comp....lowest price, and that's with £200 comp excess...
Totally!

The insurance on my buggy was only £99 and my bay was less than £150 and they're both worth much more than this polo I've just bought.

At my age you'd think that it would cost peanuts to insure a 1 litre runabout!

·
3,907 Posts
Same here, my beetle costs me £101 fully comp. a 1.0 '97 micra is £253. FFS :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Strangely, I'm 21 and even using a comparison website I can get insured on a 4.2 Audi A8 quattro for under £1k now. :D

I just need to get the courage to buy an older Audi with lots of nice complicated electrics to go wrong...

·
Registered
21,814 Posts
use the comparison sites, find the cheapest/best, then go through that companies own website or ring them. Bound to still get it cheaper. Although mine was only £5 cheaper doing it that way, its still £5 cheaper ;)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
iv just insured my 2.2 audi. 5 pot. £400 my mk1 golf was £250 but my old 04 plate yaris was only £775. how do they work it out? it is just crazy sometimes!

·
Registered
16,703 Posts
My first car was a 1996 Audi A4 1.8, 6 years old.

Cost me £500 to insure it. I was 21, just passed my test.

Micras, Saxos, other small "first car" types were all coming in at £900+. Vauxhall Frontera came in at £700.

Strange, eh? It did mean that my mates were all driving shitty little nasty cheap hatchbacks and I had the mutts nutts of a car compared to them though! :D

·
3,907 Posts
I was lucky with my first micra, bought when i was 17, got a 97 'p' reg when they were just about to get the 'r' reg in, so got 3 years free insurance with it - saved at least £3k those first three years :D

·
Registered
18,968 Posts
Yeah, didn't you know, insurance these days isn't an exact science, it's worked out by how you sound on the phone, or on your age and postcode :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
use the comparison sites, find the cheapest/best, then go through that companies own website or ring them. Bound to still get it cheaper. Although mine was only £5 cheaper doing it that way, its still £5 cheaper ;)
I just did that for the Audi I mentioned in the post above you, to see how it came out, and the quote was just over £100 higher :lol:

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Another weird one is my wife has 12 years NCB no convictions. Her premium dropped when she added me as a named driver with no NCB and a driving conviction and accident to declare:confused::lol:

·
Registered
21,814 Posts
I just did that for the Audi I mentioned in the post above you, to see how it came out, and the quote was just over £100 higher :lol:
Blimey!

Just done a quote for an old beemer
from about 1400 right down to 100 odd! Slight difference in price there

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Risk and statistics.

If you want to insure a 1.0 Polo, then regardless of your age you're driving a car that has been written off an incredible number of times thanks to it being a popular choice for new drivers. Try it with a Saxo, or Fiesta - same thing. Their computer equates 1.0 and 'small car' with 'high risk' because of the number that are a total loss.

A 4.2 Audi A8 on the other hand is usually driven by someone experienced, less likely to crash it so the premium is a lot lower. Same with classic cars, they pay out much less often on a Mk1 GTI or a Splitty because they're often used less, and driven more carefully. So the computer puts them at a lower risk.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,332 Posts
When I had my old mk3 Polo it cost me £118 to insure with Bell insurance :) and that was when I was 23, wasn't using NCB on it etc.

Bizzarly it costs me less to insure the Newbie I use for teaching learners, than the one I don't :confused: ok, the other one is modified and LHD, but still..... it's £250 cheaper on the one driven by learners!

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
for me i was a bit shocked also...

1999 sharan 90bhp diesel - £300 fully comp, max no claims and 3 points.

2005 lambo gallardo - £600

just the 60k purchase price and servicing costs and i'm sorted...

·
Registered
18,968 Posts
Risk and statistics.

If you want to insure a 1.0 Polo, then regardless of your age you're driving a car that has been written off an incredible number of times thanks to it being a popular choice for new drivers. Try it with a Saxo, or Fiesta - same thing. Their computer equates 1.0 and 'small car' with 'high risk' because of the number that are a total loss.

A 4.2 Audi A8 on the other hand is usually driven by someone experienced, less likely to crash it so the premium is a lot lower. Same with classic cars, they pay out much less often on a Mk1 GTI or a Splitty because they're often used less, and driven more carefully. So the computer puts them at a lower risk.
Bang on Mr Pillock:D

·
Registered
269 Posts
What gets me is the massive price rises this year. Mine has gone from 350 last year to 468 this year. :eek: I have a 3 year old Suzuki Swift that is a year older, I'm a year older, there's a years extra no claims, nothing has changed in a year but the price. I read that insurers have put prices up thats some jump.

Tried looking around on the price comparison sites, and while some quotes are marginally cheaper you can get massively stung on the excess, some being around £400.
:confused:
I hate re-insurance time each year, such a palava.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Mine last year was £3400 TPFT best i could find

This year 1 years no claims down the line.

£1668 COMP best price. Plus i paid £100 to transfer it from 2.0d BMW to 2.8 V6 Golf.

I do have 9 points and an accident though! :(

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I'm having a fun time with insurance ATM.

I'm 18 (almost 19) and have had almost two years of happy motoring with my Beetle on sub £500 classic policies.

I'm now restoring the Beetle and at uni so I need a more practical car, my 1989 1.6 CL Mk2 Golf. Nearly all the quotes I've had so far are in the region of £2000-6000. :eek:

Time to ring up Footman / HIC / Volkszone etc and beg for a classic policy on it me thinks unless anyone has any better ideas?

:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts