Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
try ebay for 'machine moving skates'... I used to work for a machine tool company, and these would do the job..

·
He doesn't fr*ggin' listen!
9,857 Posts
We use them virtually every day for moving immobilised cars around at my workshop.

We got ours from CJ Autos - A fantastic bit of kit. Get the heavy duty ones if you have a bus.

·
Administrator
167,147 Posts
Has anyone got any of these for moving their cars around?

I have seen the basic trays with depressions in on castors but I am taken with the sort that you just put next to the wheel and then jack it up directly.

any pro/cons or brands to check out ?
I've got a couple of sets (one in the UK, one in France) - they're great! Real easy to use too.

Mine are called 'Go Jacks', I think? It's too cold (and dark) for me to go check. ;) They're pink/magenta in colour anyway. :)

·
Administrator
167,147 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Gojaks are the ones to get :) Pricey, but do the job perfectly, conveniently and efficiently and last for ever.

We tried the cheaper ones first (it was a while ago but I think they were Machine Mart copies) and bought Gojaks when those broke. Been using Gojaks for around ten years now, on an almost daily basis (for moving crash tested cars around) and the paint's barely chipped. Well worth the extra if you're going to use them a lot.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got a couple of sets (one in the UK, one in France) - they're great! Real easy to use too.

Mine are called 'Go Jacks', I think? It's too cold (and dark) for me to go check. ;) They're pink/magenta in colour anyway. :)
The go jack type are the way to go I reckon so........................... Brian what are you doing man, pull your finger out and hurry up and get a blag sorted for these :group:

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,415 Posts
Ok. I worked for a company called CP Plus at a hospital. We had some GoJaks for when someone parked a car in an ambulance bay or similar. We had this lad called Dan, he was an 8 stone weakling. He radioed in about a car illegally parked and he wanted to move it. We went and had a look and it was a Bentley Turbo R. This thing must have weighed 2 tons. Dan was normally lazy, he was also a working class hero and only wanted to move it so he had some power over a bloke with a £100k car. We said yes it was illegally parked, but it wasn't causing an obstruction and to move it we had to go up a very slight incline, so give it a warning notice (not even a fine) and forget it. About an hour later we have a very pissed off consultant in the office. Dan had only tried to move it on his own. He had got it moving, then it rolled back on him and down the slight incline straight into the back of a coach built hearse that was collecting from the morgue. :D Dan was also the bloke that clamped a copper for not paying in the P&D car park.:D

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Morning all, and to resurrect an old thread on car skates.

I've had a look at car skates / dollys and there seem to be a number of options out there, certainly more than last time I looked around 10yrs ago.

I want a set of skates to spin my T2 around in front of the garage as space is really right and 20 point turns are a pain, the concrete is pretty smooth and aside from a slight fall to a central drain point the area could be considered level.

Go jacks: 2 models and (currenty) starting at £1,700 a set of 4, I have a friend with a set and he likes them but also bought them when they were around £1k which is what Brian paid a while ago (he also has a couple of generic sets and rates the generic mechanical set over the hydraulic set). There are various generic hydraulic pump up skates available for around £350 set but I am not keen on them as have used a set in the past and they didn't last long so would prefer mechanical, and a trusted friends experience to go on.

It looks like CJ Autos now do a mechanical set (CM22) which needs a drill to operate them, £360/set4.
Sealey make a mechanical set operated by a food lever (WS570) which look well built £400/set4 (clarke also seem to sell one that looks the same but for a little more)
Bahco also do a mechanically foot operated set for £800/set4 (BH1CD680)

I can't justify the Gojacks so looking at CJ/Sealey or even the Bahco but cannot find a review out there so through I'd ask on here.

Does anyone have a set and if so what do you have? how long have you had them? how much use do they get? and would you recommend them?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts