Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted a recon Bocar carb to my 1641 bug engine. (not sure of the pict but it's the right one ;) )

I have tweaked and tweaked the idle and mixture screws (started at 2.25 turns each) had it running ok... but still very lumpy with numerous flat spots.

The choke was completely wrong when I fitted it and it wouldnt even start.. I span the choke element until when cold and the choke engaged, there was a 1-2mm gap between the brass plate (in the top of the carb) and the carb wall. Have driven 700 miles with no major problems, just lumpy running. today, I crank it up (wanted to tweak it more and it kept just dying when it warmed up, I adjusted the choke up again and this has nott improved it.

I have an inline fuel filter in the engine bay and have njot let the fuel get into the red.....

What's wrong, been quoted £65 basic to tune it up (+ extra for any parts) and would just like to be able to get it running smoothly myself....

I dont have any special gagues or anything, just my eyes, ears and a couple of screwdrivers :)

Anyone tell me the correct way to set up the choke, and/or the mixture/idle.....

Thanks.

Steve.

PS. the timing should be fine, the dizzy clamp is solid, the points etc replaced and timing was done less than 3 months ago....

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Bocar carbs are awful. Poorly cast, toytown jets etc. Get yourself a Solex carb on ebay and re-furb it, will make a big difference

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts
Bocar carbs are poor, but only because they were thrown together, the basic parts are good, but lack finesse. They can be improved, mine ran like a bag of spanners until I stripped the carb, removed the swarf in the drillings, and replaced the adjusters with the smooth ones off the old carb, now it works fine.
Have a look here for full instructions:
http://web.archive.org/web/20041009194225/www.w-p-c.com/buggyBocar34-3.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts