Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are so expensive! Can I just template them from an old gasket and cut new ones from a cereal box? Any objections or tips as to what way up or to use sealer or not?

My carbs are twin empi hpmx 40s.

(I have a good scalpel!)

Cheers
Mat

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
You can indeed make gaskets out of cornflakes packets, but you would be better off using proper gasket paper in the correct thickness as this is more resistant to oil and water etc. Just put gasket paper into Ebay as there is loads available there its a bit more expensive than cornflake boxes but a lot cheaper than ready made ones.

·
Premium Member
9,104 Posts
Washing Machine detergent powder boxes are better.
Boxes for Food are made from pure wood fibre board, primarily Hygienic and don't need to be very strong.
Soap boxes are made from stronger multi-fibre board for chemical resistance.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Joking aside, please don’t use a cardboard box for gaskets. As mentioned above proper gasket paper isn’t expensive.

I made my own carb gaskets from a thicker material in an attempt to to reduce heat soak. It worked but to do a proper job you could really do with a wad punch set, and some good scissors.

You could do with speccing good temp resistance and good oil/ethanol resistance to allow for a good long term fix. If made correctly with good quality material, you’ll save money (probably not this time but next time you change them), prolong the life of the gaskets and it’s always worth having a bit of gasket paper kicking about for those sticky situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Go watch some Allen Millyard YouTube videos. Bike related content but he frequently makes gaskets & shows how he does it with his trusty Swiss Army knife scissors

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! That Allen Millard knows his stuff! Found the perfect vid to show me how to do it. My gasket paper arrived today and I have my Swiss knife scissors so wish me luck.

Another quick question: should I apply a bit of grease on all faces of metal that contact the gasket or leave dry when refitting?

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,408 Posts
You can make decent carb body gaskets from manilla paper envelopes. Cornflake packets make great manifold and carb base gaskets.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Just to add to rest if I haven’t got a gasket to copy the outline
I’ve photocopied the part carb base etc gives perfect shaded outline to scale
Pop over gasket material and cut through both
Used to get some funny looks at the library but if you’ve got a printer scanner saves taking a cloth to wipe up after 😇

·
Premium Member
9,104 Posts
Another quick question: should I apply a bit of grease on all faces of metal that contact the gasket or leave dry when refitting?
I think it is just personal preference, but I use a smear of grease. I find it helps prevent the gasket sticking to the sealing surfaces, so easier to replace next time.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,612 Posts
I think it is just personal preference, but I use a smear of grease. I find it helps prevent the gasket sticking to the sealing surfaces, so easier to replace next time.
Doesn't hurt, it stops them from sticking, which is handy if you're an incurable spanner botherer like me.
And personally, I have used home made cereal box gaskets a few times in the past without any problems at all, when I've been unable to find that sheet of gasket paper that I bought on ebay a couple of years earlier and put in a safe place.... :rolleyes:

Dave.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all. I have 1.0mm gasket paper and have started to make my cuts from the old gaskets as templates.

Looking forward to putting it all back and hoping no air leaks!
Glasses White Vision care Eyewear Sleeve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts