Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm having real problems splitting a case, it's stuck on the top back dowl. the case has been painted in the past so this might be part of the problem. i've managed to get it going on the other 3 corners but had to push it back together as the 4th dowl won't budge.

can i get away with heating the case a little with a blow torch or will it just knacker it? will heating even do any good or make it worse?

i've had cases that don't want to split before but this one really is taking the p*ss. my usual trick is to split the underside first by using a reversed carver clamp (padded) in the sump-

i've spent at least half a day;tried wood, copper and brass. even went and brought a bigger hammer- it ain't budging :mad: :eek:

any ideas/tips?

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
is it all covered in crud and gunk??? are you SURE you have undone ALL the bolts... not being funny as the case should come apart quite easy, clean around the flywheel bell housing bit and there are two small bolts tucked away that get missed.... other than that ^^^^^ up ^^^^^^

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
second read.... its obviouse you done this a few times before so forget what i said..... :D strange.... Anyone??

·
Premium Member
8,867 Posts
The dowel has probably corroded, heat should help, but if all else fails, I have moved these by doing the one thing they always say you shouldn't do, I used a chisel on the joint, but only at the very top of the engine to gearbox mounting flange, (so it wouldn't create a leak).

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses

does anyone else know about heating the case and whether this is likely to ruin it?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
you can weld cases so im guessing a little heat wont hert...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts