Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching a car on ebay at the mo, its a cat C repair thats had a VIC check (certificate to prove)...............

Anything i should watch out for?? is the car treated any different for MOT's, insurance etc??

Im dont know anything about this! :crazy:

Cheers peeps! :hangloose

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
1,980 Posts
Vinco said:
Watching a car on ebay at the mo, its a cat C repair thats had a VIC check (certificate to prove)...............

Anything i should watch out for?? is the car treated any different for MOT's, insurance etc??

Im dont know anything about this! :crazy:

Cheers peeps! :hangloose
nope the Vehicle Identity Check, is just a check to see if the car is not a cut n shut or been rung over and to see if the appropriate repairs have been done, it doesnt mean the car is roadworthy though, so therefore doesnt guarentee an mot pass!!

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_612078-01.hcsp#P34_1013

nykxx

·
Registered
45,845 Posts
cat c has something along the lines of `this is a write off` on the log book, cat d doesnt and is therefore easier to sell on, if that helps

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
westy77 said:
cat c has something along the lines of `this is a write off` on the log book, cat d doesnt and is therefore easier to sell on, if that helps
you sure about this?

·
Registered
45,845 Posts
Nic B-C said:
you sure about this?
apart from all my nearly all my dailys have beed cat d write offs and not said anything on the log book, and my ex bought a cat c that said something, i forget the exact wording, along the lines of it being damaged/written off....no im not sure :crazy: :D

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
i thought cat c was classed as uneconomical to repair !, this being insurance talk for , replacing with new parts would cost to much , but is fixable :hangloose

·
Registered
45,845 Posts
mikelkca said:
i thought cat c was classed as uneconomical to repair !, this being insurance talk for , replacing with new parts would cost to much , but is fixable :hangloose
yeah, cat d is also, seen some cat c`s with minimal stolen/recovered damage, but there worth too little

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Would a vehicle recorded as either a Cat. C or D definately be listed as such on the current V5C registration document?

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
My dad's old car was a cat C write off. He had to get a VIC check done on it.

As said before, they just make sure the numbers match and that the VIN plate hasn't been tampered with.

It didn't say anything about it on the log book either :)

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
My old bay was a cat C and said nothing on logbook didnt even need a VIC check just needed to get a new MOT once fixed

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
1,980 Posts
Nic B-C said:
My old bay was a cat C and said nothing on logbook didnt even need a VIC check just needed to get a new MOT once fixed
the vic test is actually a random check but more and more cars are getting checked, i had a mondeo that i bought from salvage and its only when you apply for the log book that you are told you have to have the test done, the mondeo didnt but every car my other half or his mates have bought have had to have it.

you said the car you are looking at has already had it, which is very handy as it can take up to 6 weeks to get a booking. but after that you can go straight to a local office and apply for a log book and tax it at the same time as the car wont have a registered keeper.

the log book will then usually say accident damaged/repaired.

hope this helps!!

nykxx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts