Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been in the market for a Golf Turbo MK4 for a while.

Ive been offered a 2001 model with 79k for £3500:eek:

It has no body/drivetrain damage (is actually mint) but had the leather interior stolen out of the car whilst parked on the owners drive. As it was leather the insurance classed it as cat c due to cost of replacing.

The salvage centre the car is at told me all golfs with interiors/wheels stolen go cat c registered instead of cat d.

The dealer said to get a cat c on the road needs a new mot and inspection at a vic place,

Is this all it takes, or is he spinning me a line?

Lee

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
He's right.

The VIC check is to make sure the car's not had its identity stolen/cloned... I think it costs about £50 (but can't remember)

Then you'll need a new MOT to prove its roadworthy

And a logbook. If you can get the logbook from the seller, you can register it in your name straight away, but don't forget to SORN it if its not taxed.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Sounds straight forward then.
Although he said mot before the inspection.

cat c just seems harsh for just an interior missing!

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
It might need the MOT before the VIC... I can't remember the order but VOSA should be able to put you straight.

As for the category, as far as I know, it's nothing to do with the damage caused and everything to do with the cost to fix it. My dad's Citroen ZX was a cat C because someone damaged the rear door - easy repair but a bodyshop would have charged more than the car was worth, hence the write-off.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Been in the market for a Golf Turbo MK4 for a while.

Ive been offered a 2001 model with 79k for £3500:eek:

It has no body/drivetrain damage (is actually mint) but had the leather interior stolen out of the car whilst parked on the owners drive. As it was leather the insurance classed it as cat c due to cost of replacing.

The salvage centre the car is at told me all golfs with interiors/wheels stolen go cat c registered instead of cat d.

The dealer said to get a cat c on the road needs a new mot and inspection at a vic place,

Is this all it takes, or is he spinning me a line?

Lee
IMHO that seems very steep for a cat c golf. Friend recently sold his 'mint, totally original' Anniversary spec for £4700. It was the 180bhp model with 70k on a 52 plate..

Mike

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Does seem a lot for a car of that age and mileage - last mk4 I bought was cat d 1999 - light front end (bolt on panels) and airbags, 40k on the clock 1.6 s. in black and this was in 2003 so it was 4 years old - cost me £1700, ran it for a year and sold it for £ 4750 - sold it as a black car without aircon was like an oven in summer :eek:

·
Registered
11,291 Posts
Does seem a lot for a car of that age and mileage - last mk4 I bought was cat d 1999 - light front end (bolt on panels) and airbags, 40k on the clock 1.6 s. in black and this was in 2003 so it was 4 years old - cost me £1700, ran it for a year and sold it for £ 4750 - sold it as a black car without aircon was like an oven in summer :eek:
I agree it does seem a lot for a Cat C write off :eek: Even if it is only the seats stolen it'll still be a pain to sell as it'll show on the log book a a Cat C :confused:

I looked at a 53 plate Punto Sporting for a £1k with 43k on the clock. The Cat C on the book put me off eventually.

OP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.