Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thinking of getting a new car to replace my old one,and iv seen a a nice one lowish mileage car and a only couple of years old too but its cat D,should a car like this be avoided like the plague ?

not too fussed about the resale value,as i plan to keep it a few years and ill mostly be using it on the motorway?

if i did go to look at it,id be looking at panel gaps and if it pulls,anything else to look for?

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
my brother bought a cat D repaired merc for a BARGAIN price a few months ago..... looked absolutely immaculate (showroom condition!!), unfortunately it developed some kind of severe electrical problem (we thought connected with the immobiliser) almost immediatly, which rendered it completely useless.We couldn't trace it so decided to send it off to a local Merc dealer.....they had it for 5 hours (£500 labour:eek:).... and they couldn't trace it either:rolleyes:.....money down the pan.

luckily he sold it on to a breaker (and just about got his money back:)), but the whole incident was a nightmare....

he waited a bit longer and came across another merc (80's V8 pillarless coupe in beautiful condition;)) for a bargain price....this one wasn't cat D and there's been no problems to date.

i'd avoid like the plague;)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is reassuring,i figured the main reason they are cheaper is because if a dealer was to fix it the cost would make it uneconomical to be worth repairing,rather than being unsafe.
tho i did look up the different category's to be sure

oops,bit late to post there!

·
Registered
45,792 Posts
cat A - has to be killed
cat B- never to go back on the road but bits can be used
cat C- can be repaired but will say `Total loss` or similar on log book
cat D- can be repaired but wont say anthing on the log book

it will show on a hpi type check and youll struggle to trade in at a dealer, but if your keeping for a while its cheap motoring:)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
that is reassuring,i figured the main reason they are cheaper is because if a dealer was to fix it the cost would make it uneconomical to be worth repairing,rather than being unsafe.
You're exactly right. Always ask where the damage was and take a GOOD look at that area. Test everything you can, check door gaps, ask if airbags have been replaced and ask if there are any receipts for the repairs.

Don't be scared off by Cat D, just be a bit more vigilant. :)

Oh, there is also Cat X which is not recorded as damaged but I have seen some mangled 'hi spec' motors (Porsche, Ferrari etc) that look like Cat B but go as Cat X. It's a funny system but to give you an idea of Cat damage have a look here: http://www.gtsalvage.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.