Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody now anything about em.....

ok have got a ZX7R my ex mate and boss decided to smash into the back of me on his bike at about 40 mph......

his bike totally trashed was clearly obvious it was goin no further....

my bike skidded down the road and gained the usual smashed plastics,the only other thihgs it required were a new bar stop end,mirror,end can,and fairin damage.....

anyhow in my nievity(sp) the insurance said i could keep the bike and they would give me x number off pounds which would cover the bike been repaired but what i didnt realise that doin thsi has put it on the register as a cat D write off.....

i am now gettin told that insurance companies wont insure cat d's and it needs a full engineers report and might have to go on a Q plate...`.

anybody got any info..

cheers

rob

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i wanted to sell it am i lagally bound to declare it.....

i even spent 40 quid and hpi'ed my own bike and it's down on that as a cat d......

·
Registered
19,818 Posts
Not legally but morally it might be a good thing to do.

If it's only a cat D then there's no structural damamge so it's perfectly safe to put back on the road.

No need to declare it to an insurance company unless they ask you directly. They probably know anyway as they seem to be able to access all sorts of information about you and your vehicles!

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
it is at the insurance companys discretion wether they want an engineers report good avenue to take tho is repair it the same standard as it was before then have mot'd ,then inspected by these people http://www.autoligninspections.co.uk/inspections.html
at least hen if you have any further accidents you will get a full pay out and there wont be any doubt as to the roadworthiness of it ,good luck

·
Registered
19,818 Posts
SPANNERBOY said:
it is at the insurance companys discretion wether they want an engineers report good avenue to take tho is repair it the same standard as it was before then have mot'd ,then inspected by these people http://www.autoligninspections.co.uk/inspections.html
at least hen if you have any further accidents you will get a full pay out and there wont be any doubt as to the roadworthiness of it ,good luck
Only on cat A, B or C

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
Probably will have to retest it to clear it to be on road again. I had this with my old bay after it was hit in front panel when someone pulled off a drive in front of me. I bought back salvage like you.

This was only told to me by insurance company though but as I had a valid MOT and the bus still met all the criteria I never bothered.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The following apparently is industry standard but I'm not qualified to comment.

Cat A is for burn outs and gutted vehicles. Only value is in the baled weight at a metal recyclers.

Cat B is where the vehicle is no longer safe to put back on the road and must be broken or crushed. These can only be sold to registered dismantlers with an EPA waste licence. They are actually sold as parts and are no longer considered as a vehicle. There is no economic consideration involved, purely a safety one. Vehicles that have been flooded are normally written off as a cat B.

Cat C is where the car is repairable but is not economic to do so. Think older cars and or ones where the chassis needs jigging.

Cat D is where the vehicle is repairable and would be economic to do so (cost of salvage + cost of repairs < Pre accident value) but the insurance company has decided not to repair the vehicle. This could be due to excessive storage or recovery costs, etc.

Category F A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.

My Beema e30 Sport is a cat D for which I've used three different insurers. Not one of them were bothered about it being a registered cat D. No loaded premium either.

Useful links....

Bikes

autocheck

:hangloose

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's mint mate i bought it brand new and had all the rims polished etc...

had other bikes since then but kept this tho,i like it too ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts