Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Passed a house with a beetle park on the drive today and started chatting with the old boy who lived there. Anyway turns out the bug has been sat for two years and it is his sons, who wnats rid of it.

Very strange looking around it, looks like a 64 car approx, small windows, rear pop outs, sloping wings, w lid with popes nose etc.

Then looked inside and a PLASTIC DASH!! :eek:

Left hooker as well.

the old boy said it is originally from the Cayman Islands and tuns out it is registered 1978!

Its got 4 stud wheels as well. Real strange this one, it looks nice outside, but that dash is bloody awful!

Any ideas if it is worth getting it, and also what it would be worth?
Also any clue on cars from the Caymans?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It would seem logical that Beetles from the Cayman Islands were sourced from Brazil. Brazilian Beetles maintained the early pre-64 body shape, but I can't account for the dash or the pope's nose. A '78 Brazilian model would have had pop-outs though.

I'll go and get my anorak.:crazy:

·
He doesn't fr*ggin' listen!
9,859 Posts
Mexican beetles had plastic dashes and small rear windows.

Also bear in mind that few beetles have escaped some kind of customisation during their lifetime.

Also the date of UK registration may not nececessarily be the year of manufacture. I have a SA beetle on a 'B' prefix registration plate and it was built in '73.

·
Premium Member
7,832 Posts
Did the dash have square dials? It sounds like a Brazilian model :)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
you got a reply in the tech section :)
as an aside,90% of the cars in Cayman come from Miami. Some originate from Canada,a few from Jamaica.
Shipping to and from Grand Cayman and the sister islands is VERY expensive,not at all cost effective to ship a car (let alone a bug,there are only a handful left there) back to England,as it has to go via Miami first. So either the owner was loaded and couldn't leave his bug behind,or it was swept off during hurricane Ivan and swam back :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts