Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on how to get cemet splatters off my paintwork?

The bloody builders next door who put a wall up alongside my driveway didn't think to ask me to move my car, all up one side has splatters of cement!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thats going to ruin the paintwork, sorry. Ask them to pay for a respray, then threaten legal action. I've had similar trouble with neighbor's builders and damage to property.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Best way would be to get a quote to get it professionally removed and then present them with the invoice. :(

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
No personal experience of this I'm afraid so I'm just saying here what I would do if that was me (aside from having the right hump at getting cement splatters on me car!).

I know cement won't 'dissolve' with water but wetting the surface with a sponge shouldn't harm it. Depending on how big the splatters are and how many: try getting some VERY fine wet and dry and VERY gently rubbing it across the splatters, using a lot of water. In theory any resultant scratching to the paint should polish out.

But as has been pointed out, it is decency to ask neighbours to move cars prior to building work/demolishion/tree felling etc and any damage should be paid for by them.

Could try getting them out yourself, but if there's a lot of it there's no point. Not sure if wet and dry will have much effect on cement spots - again, all comes down to how big they are and how many.

If it's a lot, then you shouldn't have to spend the time and hassle of sorting it, they should. I know it's very easy for us all to sit here safely on our computers giving advice about confronting some builders, but I probably would (but then I'm a bloke, albeit not much of one!).

·
Registered
336 Posts
It does not need to be a confrontation really, if you can't catch the builders while they are there, ask your neighbor for the number. These companies have liability insurance for a reason, don't let it slide and end up out of pocket, and don't try and fix it yourself at all.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Etherno said:
don't try and fix it yourself at all.
You maybe right actually, thinking about it.

If I had to remove it myself, I would probably try the method I described. But yes, in this situation, go to the builders.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:eek: I didn't think it was going to be that bad!

No one lives there it's being built, will have to try and catch the builder then!

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dancroft said:
cool. were they cordial about it, or did you have to keep having to get on at them?
nope as soon as I told him about it he told me to get it sorted and he'd pay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts