Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided that since my last thread on a forum was lost due to a server update this forum would be a better call! This project is the welding phase of the body, I've already restored the pan and some suspension components. I'm 17 at the moment with a 1303 for when I pass because Charlie isn't finished.... Even though I started the work at the age of 15!!! Compared to the body, the floor pan was solid requiring two small patches and a rear outrigger. UNFORTUNATELY the body needs practically everything! Charlie was sat in a garage from 1985 as his engine seized but wasn't washed so stayed there with mud on his underside which held the moisture to the metal rotting it out ridiculously quickly! I then bought him for the princely sum of £200! I decided to restore him even though the costs are going to be almost double his actual worth! :crazy: Never mind! I shall now put some images up to get you up to speed! Please don't laugh, I'm not crazy! Honest!

'Pan before black

Pan black with pedals, shifter and box.

Heffing big hole!

Sorted!

So right now Charlie has both rear arches and chassis mounts, both rear cross members and a booth floor! I've got both channels to do, both rear quarters, both front pillars, both valances, both front arches and some other panels around the spare wheel tub! THEN reassemble it all!

Today I just cleaned up the starter motor and not a lot else.... :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Cool, another 02s resto thread! Seems like the 02s is an up and coming must restore model, regardless of effort needed :D
Keep the updates coming!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Little progress today! :(

Thanks Stuart! I bought this on a whim thinking it wasn't really that rare!
On another note, today I tried the original starter and it's fine! But dirty! Is it possible to strip it down and put back together? I've polished part of it and want it to look amazing!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have a 1302s too! And it's absalute shite ! Hahaha! Costing me alot of pennies, but it will be worth it! Lool at my thread in my signature!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the support guys! Mine is so rot that it needs a complete new front end! as well as an engine rebuild! :crazy:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I managed to get hold of a complete front end that was chopped off a 1302s back in the late 70's as it got hacked about into a drag car. Saves a lot of work, but doesnt help the rest of car out :lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey chop where did you get your panels from? I also love that door pillar tool! Keep up the good work on your '02S!! Mine looks easy now! Hope to debut at VW action 2014!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey chop where did you get your panels from? I also love that door pillar tool! Keep up the good work on your '02S!! Mine looks easy now! Hope to debut at VW action 2014!!
The panels are mostly the standard gsf/heritage etc panels, mainly bought 2nd hand from here and other places, but the door repairs and tool are from Hookys panel shop and are the only decent fitting pre-made panels I have found.

Oh and there are some cuts from other Beetles used as well, these things rot everywhere.

I was hoping get it out for Action 2009 then 2010, not a chance :lol: now it will be whenever, but your a lot further on then I am so good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The panels are mostly the standard gsf/heritage etc panels, mainly bought 2nd hand from here and other places, but the door repairs and tool are from Hookys panel shop and are the only decent fitting pre-made panels I have found.

Oh and there are some cuts from other Beetles used as well, these things rot everywhere.

I was hoping get it out for Action 2009 then 2010, not a chance :lol: now it will be whenever, but your a lot further on then I am so good luck
WHOOPS! That's where I'm buying my panels from! :crazy: But I've devised an idea to build one of those door tools to help with the process :) Thanks for support! Gives me a little hope in finishing this!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Door pillar repair welding into place, then the damn grinder packed up! :mad: Oh well waiting on new one!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Door pillar repair! Looking good to me! ;) But I'm going to fill the gap once the heater channel is welded in!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just did more welding to the rear boot floor as it's all tacked together, getting there and looking into how to repair the front! :crazy:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Coming on then matey :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You bet! The feeling of progress is un-beatable! After checking chassis numbers, turns out I own a 1970 1302S aka an 'early' 1302! Very happy! :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Same as mine then :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts