Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clarkson46 said:
Neat, but how can we get the chassis in? :D :D :D :D
LOL, that's exactly what I was talking about at the weekend.

Even enough to dip a floorpan or something... :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
Is that for real?! It can't be THAT easy can it?! :rolleyes:
I know vinegar's pretty meaty stuff, but a couple of days dipping, followed by a quick paint to stop them corroding again and that's all?! CAN'T be that easy?!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Globbits said:
Is that for real?! It can't be THAT easy can it?! :rolleyes:
I know vinegar's pretty meaty stuff, but a couple of days dipping, followed by a quick paint to stop them corroding again and that's all?! CAN'T be that easy?!
Honest mate, I thought it was an april fool thing, and was expecting nothing...But one rusty brake disk, and a overnight's worth of sitting in vinegar and the rust just wiped off like dirt....Some of the more serious stuff takes a bit of scrubbing, but it still came up like new...

I will post up some pics tonight.

Stevie

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well feck me sideways! Nice to know that there is something we can do! Looking forward to the pics!

Richard

·
Registered
806 Posts
you will also find that Pickling vinegar is better....
but just don't use Balsamic ... a tad expensive
ask your grannies about vinegar and tea....
or just do some searches on google for uses of vinegar and tea..
I think these are several web sites devoted to the 1001 uses of vinegar...

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
iv'e used it for years, never on bigger stuff like that though!

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Awsome! I have some bumper irons soaking in very expensive hamerite green solution...They have been there for the best part of a week and stikll look rusty! I wil buy 5litres of vinigar and give that a go! :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
wonder if it would work on big bits if you keep brushing it on? :D

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stemoovw said:
wonder if it would work on big bits if you keep brushing it on? :D
Hmmm, it would be possible I suppose, but you need to leave stuff soaking for 24 to 48 hours, and it would be a major PITA to get up in the middle of the night to keep on brushing on vinegar to parts all the time...

I cant think of anything that cannot be broken down and fit into a large tub or bucket, apart from the obvious body panels, shell or chassis...

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Many moons ago I used to work for Bookers, which is a wholesale Cash & Carry for the catering trade. Technically you have to be a registered trader but certainly here in Cornwall they will let you in on a Day Pass providing you pay cash or you know a trader. Now Bookers and the like sell vinegar in catering packs ie. 5 litres or more which should be a cheaper way of buying vinegar than small bottles in Tesco or ASDA. :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think my only concern about the electrolytic process is that there are implications that it changes the chemical nature of the top-layer of the metal. With high-impact stuff, like bits of my car, I'm not sure I'd want to change the metal's properties - 'specially if what they're saying is it makes stuff brittle! :eek:

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
Globbits said:
I think my only concern about the electrolytic process is that there are implications that it changes the chemical nature of the top-layer of the metal. With high-impact stuff, like bits of my car, I'm not sure I'd want to change the metal's properties - 'specially if what they're saying is it makes stuff brittle! :eek:
who are 'they' ? do 'they' have a link ? sounds like bad science to me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts