Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the cheapest way to lowwer a 1303 front end "SAFELY"?
I am not so much bothered about ride quality as the car is not going to be a daily driver. I am doing a body off resto and the cost is spiraling so I would like to lowwer the car as cheaply as possible.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can get lowered springs for about 50 quid. Pretty easy to fit. Or you can chop the springs this takes a bit more work to ensure the springs still set correctly but makes for a better ride as i've found that the "bought" springs are too firm and i know of people who have fitted them and the car dosn't seem to drop atall! Although you have to be careful not to drive like a loon as the car bounces alot more and could/will groundout.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You should NOT cut off anything from the original springs as it could make your car become less safe to drive. The springs are progressive, and cutting them apart will f**k this up. Lowered springs is the way to go...or chuck in a few sandbags up front if you just don't bother doing it properly.

·
Registered
179 Posts
SilverBig said:
You should NOT cot off anything from the original springs as it could make your car become less safe to drive. The springs are progressive, and cutting them apart will f**k this up. Lowered springs is the way to go...or chuck in a few sandbags up front if you just don't bother doing it properly.
I agree, you should never cut the originals down.. not very safe and as you are doing a full restro why bother cutting corners which could result in all your hard work being ruined. If you look at a set of springs the top and bottom finish flat which allows them to sit in the cups nicely.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your views lads, I think I may spend the 50 quid and drop it the proper way ;) Not to say cutting them is wrong but I have spent quite a bit so far and 50 quid is not the end of the world. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you do decide to 'do it properly' I have a set of 2'' dropped springs and Spax Adjustable Inserts all complete with the 3 bolt top mounts, Discs and Calipers, a direct bolt in upgrade (if yours is 3bolt struts)

all for £100

BARGIN!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the offer mate but I am not sure how low I need to go yet. I want the front low enough to look good but not too low so as it is grinding speed humps!! I think 2 " may not be low enough though. All the cars I have seen that I like seem to be 3-4" lowered. :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tommy_v said:
If you do decide to 'do it properly' I have a set of 2'' dropped springs and Spax Adjustable Inserts all complete with the 3 bolt top mounts, Discs and Calipers, a direct bolt in upgrade (if yours is 3bolt struts)

all for £100

BARGIN!
hey mate u still selling these ?

cheers Adam

P.S. sorry for hijacking your thread 1303 to cal look!

·
Registered
518 Posts
ive heard that golf mk1 shocks fit a 1303,,, bit more of an option for ya :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
you may need an anti bumpsteer kit when i lowered my 1303, the steering rods hit the chassis as soon as it was on the ground.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I modded and fitted scirocco struts (about 17 yrs ago so sorry,i've forgotten exactly what was involved).I tried cutting the springs first and this done naff all to the height.

Ade.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Until you decide how low you wanna go....... bags of sand from the Build Centre.... measure how high it is now, keep adding them and driving it around until you have your desired height...... buy the correct springs and remove the sand :hangloose

1 - 18 of 18 Posts