Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant find any!!!! Just lookingon add trader, was just wondering if there was some secret farmers web site somewhere :crazy:

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
May be an idea to contact battery hen places, they tend to chuck hens after a couple of years 'cos they are past their premium productivity. We used to get ours for 50p each. There's nothing like teaching a poor battery hen who's got no feathers and has never been on grass how to scratch for food and eat off the ground.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alxx_b said:
May be an idea to contact battery hen places, they tend to chuck hens after a couple of years 'cos they are past their premium productivity. We used to get ours for 50p each. There's nothing like teaching a poor battery hen who's got no feathers and has never been on grass how to scratch for food and eat off the ground.
I'd like to do that :) But how do I find one?

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
seriously - you can get battery hens from livestock markets
my sister used to have them - scrawny little things with no feathers, not knowing what to do, slowy turning into fun loving chickens with near enough full sets of feathers, producing GREAT eggs - a great thing to see

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
Let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
Missbugbabe said:
Arr wow, that things cool :D
yeah they're clever... they've been around for a while now, invented by a couple of students... my wife & I wanted one a few years back but couldn't really justify the cost... but my dad decided it would be cool so he's gone for the new big one: 'Standard 2m run and extension 10 Chickens' bottom right on this link http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=Eglu Cube

we're going to have a lot of eggs :D

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
peelo said:
yeah they're clever... they've been around for a while now, invented by a couple of students... my wife & I wanted one a few years back but couldn't really justify the cost... but my dad decided it would be cool so he's gone for the new big one: 'Standard 2m run and extension 10 Chickens' bottom right on this link http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=Eglu Cube

we're going to have a lot of eggs :D
My guinea pigs would love that too!!

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:D:D:D

I'm going to be getting 12 rescued battery chickens in August! Quite a while to wait but it'll be worth it :D:D:D

Thanks Alxx_b for your help ;)

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've just spoken to Jean from here:
http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/index.html
And I'm picking up 12 ex battery hens in August :D (then they're next rescuing some) They're obviously going to be a bit lost when I get them, after having the space of a sheet of A4 they'll be moving into a new run I'm building that's 4m by 6m!! They'll be a year old, so no spring chickens (sorry I couldn't resist :p) but they will produce more than enough eggs for me :) And the best part is that I'm saving some chickens that have had a horrible life from being turned into pet food!!!

They are 50p each (which is the cost that the farmer would get for them as agricultural waste) and a donation is appreciated but not necessary.

Hope this helps someone :D
Naomi

1 - 20 of 21 Posts