Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the engine out of the splitty during restoration, and thought i'd replace the old oiled up cruddy tinware with nice shiney chrome bits, but i've heard that this can lead to overheating problems, is this true? The engine is a 1641, with twin 40 carbs, the fan housing is chrome already. If it's not a good idea, what about colour coding the tinware to match the bus? Or is it better off just black?
Cheers all :hangloose

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
satin black is the best paint as it conducts & dissipates heat well ;) why do you think car radiators are black? never seen a chrome radiator core on a car :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The chrome stuff doesnt even fit so stay well clear of it. If you need new tinware go for Genuine parts or the stuff made by Scat.

·
Registered
13,088 Posts
agreed, i stripped an engine which had some chrome head tins, amazingly it wasnt running right coz piston 4 had melted,

·
Registered
13,147 Posts
Get the original tinware powdercoated.
Not as expensive as you may think & it'll last.
Scat tinware has fitment issues too.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
im going to try a chrome fan housing, it has the internal ducting and im going to fit the flaps from an old tatty origional unit into it.... we shall see!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need to replace the tinware that is on the engine, cause it's cheap crap and not original stuff, so i'm now thinking of powder coating some original stuff. Anyone know where you can get such tinware? The stuff i've got at the mo has had to be butchered to fit, so will just get binned. How many parts are there anyway?...........
Cheers!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Controversially: The only person I know who has done controlled tests in near-lab conditions is Jake Raby. His findings (posted on thesamba), much to his & everyone elses amazement showed that the particular chrome shroud he tested actually ran cooler than with stock ones.

Work that one out :eek:

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
i personaly think that the fan shrouds have been given a bad name as the cheeper ones have no internal ducting and no thermostat flaps, i dont personaly think the chrome finish would contribute a significant amount of heat retention... and i plan to fit some flaps in mine.... if i can..

·
Registered
435 Posts
justbuggin said:
showed that the particular chrome shroud he tested actually ran cooler than with stock ones.
Actually Jake just said it was a 36hp style... never said it was chrome.

And the shroud is nit the problem. It's the tin that surrounds the cylinders and heads.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Chrome tinware was sold by Volkswagen in colder climate countries as an optional extra, so they must keep heat in a bit more so then normal. However I have to agree that the cheap and nasty sets wont be any good at all, and probably wont last to well and cause major problems. Powder coated standard tinware or just normal OE spec is what I would personally stick to, cant go wrong then. It was designed that way for a reason. :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
1641's tend to run on the warm side in a bus anyway so best go for the coolest option available....Powder coated IMHO

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
justbuggin said:
...The only person I know who has done controlled tests in near-lab conditions is Jake Raby. His findings, much to his & everyone elses amazement showed that the particular chrome shroud he tested actually ran cooler than with stock ones....
He also said this fan shroud was out of production. And, he refused to tell anyone what make of shroud it was, as he wanted to get the rights to make it. What no one knows is, what the quality control was like in the manufacturing facility and whether the 'good' one came about by mistake (or error).

Anyway, most new aftermarket fan shrouds are attempts at copying an original VW unit, so why he would need permission to copy a copy, I don't know. The tests were not carried out on standard engine units, so there are no base figures on which the information gathered could be compared.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Cool air, will powder coat for reasonable prices for new parts, get a hold of their catalogue, lots of colours.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts