Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of ours is using a company that does all the chasing/paperwork on his behalf,but are charging 25 percent of the compensation.Anyone know of better deals out there,with a good record of winning cases?

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
ourkid said:
A friend of ours is using a company that does all the chasing/paperwork on his behalf,but are charging 25 percent of the compensation.Anyone know of better deals out there,with a good record of winning cases?
I'll do it for £25% :eek:

do it yourself there are template letters all over the web the ones I'm using are on

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com

Good luck.

Dan

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Kafer_meister said:
Did you get your letter yet dude?
sending off letter #2 today just under 2k with interest :) so I haven't been quite as bad as I thought i'd been. May be I should try for the full 11 years of the bank account :)

Dan

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I got back £1500 off them ,did it all my self :)

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
SPANGLE said:
sending off letter #2 today just under 2k with interest :) so I haven't been quite as bad as I thought i'd been. May be I should try for the full 11 years of the bank account :)

Dan
That'll buy plenty of shiny bits for your bug dude :D

Or you could use it to get away from crazy town!

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
ourkid said:
:eek: !

DIY

·
Registered
707 Posts
i cannot believe people are charging 25%!!! Its a doddle. I did it myself, and my sister is doing it as well as my sister in law.

I used www.penaltycharges.co.uk

two letters later and i got over £2k back. The bank rang me after my second letter and offered to settle for 75% of the total, i said, nah, i want the full amount, and in the next breathe they offered me the lot!!!! Bingo.

And the Lloyds thing, that case if slightly different and the banks are using it to scare people off claiming - so dont be put off.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
cookiemonster said:
And the Lloyds thing, that case if slightly different and the banks are using it to scare people off claiming - so dont be put off.
oh really ?

how so ?

I have read the judgment, and don't know what you mean - please tell.....

·
I see 'dub' people!!!
6,640 Posts
Right, so 2 cases of not winning....banks etc 2 - the people 100,000+....compared to the 100's of thousands that have.....I like thems odds!!!
The 2 claiments, did they do it correctly? did they use someone like the
consumer action group? did they have precedent, academic reports, templates etc

Its all propaganda on behalf of the money people.

Im in the process of doing exactly that, but with the aid of ME and consumer action group (its FREE)

j :D

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Before you get bamboozled.

The two cases were won due to the paperwork being crap on behalf of the claimant. It wasnt a case of the banks winning by proving it wrong, just sloppy crap paperwork not filled in correctly.

Carry on with your charges. I have done my last account and wasnt as bad in charges as I thought.

25% jezz this is a peace of piss to do. The letters are already done for you, you need to fill in the blanks. Then go through your statements and pick up anything with Charge DR for the overdraft charges (normally around 5th to 8th of each month with HSBC).

Im claiming the interest as well on mine, and this time im not going to back down and accept the settlement.

So those doing it, dont feel guilty due to Charges on everyones accounts and the end to free banking. This is a ploy to stop you from claiming and the banks have been wanting to do this for years.

Dont believe the stories of Banks winning, its not as clear cut as they say. Its due in two circumstances to poor applicant documents not filled in correctly. Ignore the myths!

Remember the charges are illegal and not in proportion to the actual cost.

Good luck & do it yourself

Stu

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
89 said:
Before you get bamboozled.

The two cases were won due to the paperwork being crap on behalf of the claimant. It wasnt a case of the banks winning by proving it wrong, just sloppy crap paperwork not filled in correctly.
sorry, but that is utter nonsense

have you actually read the decision in the Birmingham case (I don't know what the 2 are - I only know of that one, what's the other ?)

it was fully argued, well presented, and the barrister who is claiming aggravated damages in the other case which has been adjourned put in written submissions

the judgment is very well written and personally I can't see any holes in it

pretending that it was down to sloppy paperwork is just plain wrong, sorry

I can't comment on the other case as I don't know what you are referring to

89 said:
Dont believe the stories of Banks winning, its not as clear cut as they say. Its due in two circumstances to poor applicant documents not filled in correctly. Ignore the myths!
I'm really sorry about this, but the myth is that it was poor paperwork etc

Have you actually read it ?

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
janski said:
Right, so 2 cases of not winning....banks etc 2 - the people 100,000+....compared to the 100's of thousands that have.....I like thems odds!!!
this is really not the whole picture

many cases brought by claimants have been struck out for lack of particulars etc

the only decided case I am aware of was the one in Birmingham where the Bank won

so in Court, as far as I know, its Bank 1 Rest of the World 0

that's not to say that this is the right answer, and that decision will be of persuasive authority only unless appealed and decided by a higher court

I don't have (and wouldn't give it if I did :) ) any inside info on what the banks are doing after the Birmingham case, and the number of settlements has been widely publicised and it may well be that settlements will continue - I just don't know

getting back to the original point though, I really wouldn't pay 25% to anyone for doing something that is so easy to do yourself and where all the leg work (working out the charges) has to be done by you in the first place anyway !

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also read that the Birmingham case went to court because the person involved did not take the out of court settlement (offered by bank) as advised by MSE and other help forums.
Also i got back some charges using MSE, no pain nice and easy, just a bit of a wait due to large volume of claims.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
CheekyMonkey said:
sorry, but that is utter nonsense

have you actually read the decision in the Birmingham case (I don't know what the 2 are - I only know of that one, what's the other ?)

it was fully argued, well presented, and the barrister who is claiming aggravated damages in the other case which has been adjourned put in written submissions

the judgment is very well written and personally I can't see any holes in it

pretending that it was down to sloppy paperwork is just plain wrong, sorry

I can't comment on the other case as I don't know what you are referring to

I'm really sorry about this, but the myth is that it was poor paperwork etc

Have you actually read it ?
Yes there were two cases. One this week with Lloyds TSB and another last week. I have read them, there was also Abbey and another bank laying it on thick with regards to the cases that were won and these banks adding this in the letters to customers to put them off. It is a fact that two cases that banks won or the judge put it in their favour turned out to be bad paperwork.

Take it you work for a bank.

Stu

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have sent my 2nd letter and got a response about 3 weeks ago saying that they were investigating and would be in touch. Not sure how long I should leave it before sending the 3rd letter? Has anyone had their charges refunded from Natwest?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The case, filed by James Rudd, a builder from Lancaster, who was seeking to claim back GBP3,000, was dismissed as the county judge deemed the case inadequate, This Is Money reported.
Advertisement

Cited in the BBC, Judge Forrester, who ruled on the case, said: "It is ordered that the particulars of claim are struck out as disclosing no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim set out as a coherent set of facts, which if true, disclose a legally recognizable claim against the defendant."

Mr Rudd himself has also reportedly admitted that the paperwork for the case may not have been adequate enough.

;)

I will find the other one some other time.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
LadyV said:
I have sent my 2nd letter and got a response about 3 weeks ago saying that they were investigating and would be in touch. Not sure how long I should leave it before sending the 3rd letter? Has anyone had their charges refunded from Natwest?
You need to wait another 3 - 4 weeks. I done this with HSBC, after the "were looking into your case". I then got a settlement letter, which wasn't too far off my claim.

Be patient, im sure it will come good.

Stu

1 - 20 of 41 Posts