1 - 20 of 884 Posts

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
1,990 Posts
Love it thanks for sharing - R8 for me

·
Registered
542 Posts
One of my favourit modern/retro twists was the MX-5 (Miata, Eunos, Whatever) that was turned into a tribute to the original and awesomely cool Mazda rotary, the Cosmo 110S.

OK, so it's got a vulgar four banger with cams and all that sort of nonsense rather than a righteous dorito-on-a-stick voodoo engine, but it's a hell of a lot better than all those scene MX-5s with stretched tyres, stupid camber and cable-tie bodywork

IMHO, of course :lol:

....and those illustrations in the OP are lush, BTW :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,334 Posts
One of my favourit modern/retro twists was the MX-5 (Miata, Eunos, Whatever) that was turned into a tribute to the original and awesomely cool Mazda rotary, the Cosmo 110S.

OK, so it's got a vulgar four banger with cams and all that sort of nonsense rather than a righteous dorito-on-a-stick voodoo engine, but it's a hell of a lot better than all those scene MX-5s with stretched tyres, stupid camber and cable-tie bodywork

IMHO, of course :lol:

....and those illustrations in the OP are lush, BTW :cool:
I'll take an original one please,
sadly way out of my price range :(

·
Premium Member
48,667 Posts
How do we feel about the new FIATs?

:)
From an industry / trade perspective, they saw the success of Mini, (and the high price/profit) and gate crashed the party.

This did impact Mini sales for a couple of years, but when the cars turned out to be mediocre in dynamics and build, coupled with traditional Fiat dealer service and residual values, they have now settled back into a cute curiosity.

I think they're a great design piece and every bit as convincing as the Mini, but without the engineering execution that comes from a parent company such as BMW.

I'll add to that for a sense of balance that the first generation of Minis were lacking in quality and tended to be worn out by 60k miles. Later ones '06> are a very good car, if still very expensive for the amount of metal (plastic).

·
Registered
542 Posts
A friend of mine had a Cooper S MINI and I soooooo wanted to hate it. Just because. It seemed the fashionable thing to do :lol: As they go it wasn't an especially nasty one, no stupid Union Flag wing mirrors, nor chrome and chav tat. But it was a BMW, and a horrible bloated desecration of the Minis I grew up in and around.

Then she made me drive it :(

What a bloody awesome little car. It shrinks when you're inside it so you forget the bloated swollen exterior styling, it rips up the road delightfully, skitters about through corners like a puppy on rollerskates and is basically the most involving and immersive new car I've driven, possibly ever. Damn, cos I so wanted to hate it but it was bloody brilliant :mad:

.....then the plastic cam tensioner failed and it mashed the head on the A3. Apparently it's a known "thing". So it's OK to hate them again :lol:

·
Hot shoe
26,204 Posts
I'm seriously considering a Cooper S to replace my aged but super reliable and efficient DERV A4 :rolleyes: :lol:

The missus had an 08 (turbo Peugeot motor) which was a riot to drive.. When it worked.. Cylinder head coke up (under 80k miles, not covered by warranty by BMW)

If my research is correct, you want post 04 to get the modified supercharger, more power as stock and an LSD - but pre 06 to avoid the PSA engine.

Apparently anything post 2010 the VVT issue is sorted in the motor, but they're a bit pricier obviously.

As an aside, the FIAT 595(?) is absolutely lunatic! Sounds great, and is nearly 200bhp in a teeny wheelbase :D lots of bargains to be had if you can live with the build quality... Or fit :(

1 - 20 of 884 Posts