Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to fit a 1641cc engine into my 72 bug, I have just pulled the existing 1300cc engine which has a 180mm pressure plate with 'fingers' diaphragm type,with no centre pad, the 1641 has the fingers diaphragm type with a centre pad, the gearbox has the later bearing arrangement. Can I put the 1641 engine in with this clutch arrangement (one with pad) or can the centre pad get taken off (LUK type) or do I need to get a 200mm pressure plate with fingers???? The 1641 was previously fitted to my 67 bug and had only done about 50 miles before I wrote it off!!! a quick response would be good as I am 'carless' at the moment

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update, I took the centre pad off and it is similar to the 180mm pressure plate underneath, it would make sense to manufacture the diaphragm so that they could be used for either pressure plate, will try this in my car and see how it goes, saves me £50 on a new pressure plate.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Exactly what I would have done. You done good! Make sure you free off the wing nut before you put the engine back!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it works

does this work? (don't see any reason why it shouldn't)..... i'm in the same position!
It works, I removed the pad by slipping a fine wood chisel under the inner sprung steel retaining ring and using a small cutting disk on my grinder I split the ring and pulled it off with pliers and the pad fell out, watch you don't touch any of the other parts of the pressure plate with the grinder, job done :)

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
It works, I removed the pad by slipping a fine wood chisel under the inner sprung steel retaining ring and using a small cutting disk on my grinder I split the ring and pulled it off with pliers and the pad fell out, watch you don't touch any of the other parts of the pressure plate with the grinder, job done :)
cool..... thanks mate....i'm gonna copy you:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts