Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
I make fresh coffee every morning, from freshly ground beans. We bought a Bodum electric burr grinder (from Bodum direct). Was about £50 but was an old model. Takes under a minute to grind enough beans for enough coffee for 4-5 mugs. It's been used every day for the last 18 months, and you can adjust the coarseness of the grind to suit whatever 'implement' you're going to use to brew. My only gripe with it is that the receptacle that the grinds go in doesn't seal brilliantly, is plastic and can be a bit 'static-y'. This can make it a little bit messy sometimes and the grinds aren't quite so easy to transfer. Bit of coffee dust on the worktop is easily solved though. The receptacle on the newer model is glass which I believe resolves/improves this. We generally use an old filter coffee maker that I inherited to make a jug of coffee first thing, or 'wake-up juice' as it's known in our house :cool:

On occasions when I don't want to make a full pot of coffee, then I either use an Moka pot if I'm at home, or an Aeropress if I'm in work which I think makes a pretty decent enough brew. Certainly better than any instant.

As for beans, I'm still experimenting to see if I can tell the difference. The Lavazza at ~£10/kg from Tesco are nice enough, and the single origin beans from Aldi are nice also. We have a local café that roast their own beans in-house but they are MUCH more expensive per kg. That said, I'm going to get a selection as a treat, maybe 100g each of a few different types, to see it I can tell (or justify) the difference in price.

This is the model Coffee Grinder we bought, although I don't know if this is the current model or the older one. Looks like they might have gone up in price a bit since we bought ours though. Doesn't seem to get very good reviews, but apart form being a bit 'messy' I'm happy enough with it, although it's the only one I've had so no real point of reference for a proper comparison with any others.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Aldi’s single origin Sumatran beans are very nice. Well, to my palate anyway.
They are! I am a big espresso drinker, I cheat and use a bean to cup machine, I have been drinking my own espressos for ten years, after trial and error, and personal taste. I have found its down to the beans freshness that makes the difference. And what sort of espresso you like. African beans tend to be more bitter and slightly acidic. Which I believe Italian espressos prefer. I like a smooth non-bitter, non acidic espresso, Sumatran/java beans are my favourite.
When I first started, most beans from supermarkets were poor. Nowadays, they are decent. As they now have the turnover more people use them. I have spent a lot of money on beans on the past, and whilst I may not be a connoisseur. Nowadays, Aldi's beans are half decent. Asda special Java beans are very good. Ok ok, I admit, I do like starbucks espresso dark roast beans. (Morrisons sell them)
There was a local company, who roasted their own beans, they were great as you could buy them a few days after roasting. Their Darkest Peru beans were awesome. However they stopped, The company had bought their roasting machine and unroasted beans from a place in Winchester that taught you how to roast and sold all the gear. So I thought when the local place shut I would buy theirs, They were poor, Same beans, same roasting machinery but cack!
It all depends on what you like..

For the normal person, Nespresso pods...:giggle:

·
Registered
85 Posts
After the advice on here and elsewhere I've thinking of:

Buy a Hario Skelton manual grinder, but have a look for decent, ceramic burr electric one first.

Use the Moka pot we already have.

If anyone wants to throw in some coffee grinder suggestions, I'm open to them.
How was the gift received?
Did she ask if you kept the receipt :)

Latest James Hoffman YouTube video is an updated technique for Moka Pots.

·
Premium Member
15,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
How was the gift received?
Did she ask if you kept the receipt :)
The gift was well received........ when I went to order a Hario Skelton no one had them in stock and I couldn't get one before Christmas,....... so I bought her a leather jacket instead.☺

The advice is still of use though, as I'll get it anyway when I get a chance.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm considering upgrading my grinder to one of these.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I like Nescafe Gold. The end 😅
You should try LOR as an instant. Bit pricey but worth it. If i see somewhere that has it reduced, i usually grab a couple of jars. The intense is best and you wouldn't know the decaff was decaff unless you were told (or you made it yourself obvs).

Rich

21 - 29 of 29 Posts