Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a swb manx buggy, on a swing axle chassis, and i'm running quite low at the moment, i'd like to fit coilover rear suspension to help fine tune the height but more importantly correct the spring rates as the buggy is obviously a fair bit lighter than the beetle the torsion bars were designed for,

can anyone recommend a set up for a buggy, or point me in the right direction to buying something that suits my needs,

cheers:)

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
20,711 Posts
One of the advantages of the torsion bar suspension is that you can adjust the ride height. The limiting factor is the stops on the forged arm. Unfortunately, to keep the max height the spring plate would have to sit on the bottom stop most of the time. To do that the torsion bars would have to be wound round so that the preload on them was so high when on the stop that they would move only under excessive load. That is not good.
Coilovers will not solve your problem. They will add to the spring rate, which for a lightened buggy is the opposite to what you require. IMO the use of coilovers only is bad engineering as it strains the top bolt fixing of the damper that was not designed to cope with spring loads.
If you want to raise the rear then wind the standard torsion bars around to the OPTIMUM position and no more. The spring plate should just come off the stop with the buggy on the ground but with no load in it.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi my intention was to move the torsion bars round so as they would effectively do nothing more than hold the spring plates in position, then rely on a coil over shock to provide the suspension at the correct spring rate for the weight of the vehicle,

i understand there is an issue with placing the load on the shock mounts, but there must be a way to remedy this, the buggy is light and has plenty of room for some chassis bracing, i had heard of boxing the shock towers when using coil overs,

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
you would need a make like GAZ coil overs where you can adjust spring and damping rates. reinforcing the shocker top mounts with something like a CSP rear brace would be sensible as would reinforcing the bottoms.
having said the above if you get your standard torsion bars set it will be fine running standard rate dampers.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
20,711 Posts
Hi my intention was to move the torsion bars round so as they would effectively do nothing more than hold the spring plates in position, then rely on a coil over shock to provide the suspension at the correct spring rate for the weight of the vehicle,

i understand there is an issue with placing the load on the shock mounts, but there must be a way to remedy this, the buggy is light and has plenty of room for some chassis bracing, i had heard of boxing the shock towers when using coil overs,
The torsion bars will have an effect no matter where you set them so you will have to factor that into the equation when calculating the coil over spring rate. At some point the total spring rate will be the sum of the coil rate plus the torsion bar equivalent rate, all of which will be far too much for a lightweight buggy. your only hope will be to remove the torsion bars altogether as weak bars are not available (I think). Going over to coilover only is fraught with its own problems that will relate to the loads going through the damper top mount in particular.

A Kafer Cup brace will be the most effect way to go if you are contemplating coilovers as it interconnect the damper towers and triagulates that with the frame horn ends (front and rear). All those pick up points must be used to be effective otherwise its a waste of time. Using a KC brace puts the top damper bolt into shear where its considerably stronger and ought to cope with the anticipated spring rate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts