Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting round to adjusting the brakes on the '58. It's a complete new system, MC, slaves, pipes, shoes & drums. Got the pipes filled & bled yesterday and all seems ok so far with all the air out (I think!). I'm now adjusting the shoes as per the Haynes manual. It says "turn the adjusters until they stop moving and the drum is locked & won't move. Now back off the adjuster 1 or 2 notches until the drum rotates freely".
There's the problem. Yes I can adjust it so it locks up, but backing it off a couple of notches means the drum only just moves & it's still binding severely.
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or suggest an idiots way of getting these set right? I've not done this before & I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks a bunch

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
Just back the adjusters off further, 4-6 clicks is not unusual with new brake shoes, then press the pedal hard and readjust. You may still need to back them off 5 clicks or so but the shoes will rapidly bed in once you use them a few times, say 50mls. Readjust them frequently until they bed in. If the rear ones are binding, back the handbrake cables right off, then adjust the brakes at the wheel, then readjust the cables but leave them slightly looser than normal until the brakes all bed in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts