Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a '75 bus that I have recently imported to the UK. I've managed to get the MOT and now need to get it registered. Took all the docs to the DVLA and now they have responded saying that they need to carry out an inspection. The vehicle still has the KM speedo in and I have a feeling that although this wasn't picked up at the MOT, the inspector at the DVLA will fail it on this. Was wondering if anyone knows what they check for?
Also, I've seen some stickers that go on the speedo that convert the kms to mph. Would this be okay? I'm very skint at the moment and would prefer to do this as an interim measure then get a proper speedo later. Please help.

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
I don't think they will be interested in the speedo, but a stick-on converter may give you peace of mind.
As far as I know, all they want to do is confirm the vehicle is what it's supposed to be and the documents match the vehicle ID plates, so knowing in advance where all ID plates are may help you explain things to them.
They used to only check around 10% of imports but things may have changed by now, so my reply may be outdated.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think they will be interested in the speedo, but a stick-on converter may give you peace of mind.
As far as I know, all they want to do is confirm the vehicle is what it's supposed to be and the documents match the vehicle ID plates, so knowing in advance where all ID plates are may help you explain things to them.
They used to only check around 10% of imports but things may have changed by now, so my reply may be outdated.
Thanks for the reply, you're probably right with what they check. After all, the vehicle's got its MOT. I'm beginning to hate this DVLA vehicle bureaucracy - I even have to organise a trailer to carry the kombi 8 miles for the inspection.
You don't happen to know where I can get this speedo sticker do you?

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
I think you'll find a speedo is of no relevance at all to the MOT.

My german split has KMH speedo, MOT'd fine without markers.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My Beetle has a km/h speedometer. The Beetle was checked over by a DVLA inspector when I re-registered it and it's been through a couple of MOTs at two different test centres - none of them has batted an eyelid so I don't think you'll have any problems :).

·
Registered
917 Posts
Dont think speedo's have anything to do MOT / inspections.
There are a lot of Jap Imports in this country all with KM speedos.
The inspector will just confirm the Bus is what the Logbook says it is.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I didn't have any problem with regards to the km/h speedo when registering and MOT'ing in this country with my German bay.

Swelly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts