Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of them wireless router thingys... got a Belkin MIMO G+, and was told it would let me network 2 houses, literally across the street.

It wouldn't. If got us into the road, and that was it.

I'm looking at a Belkin Pre-N, and that is advertising that it will reach further, but i've read that I need ethernet modem to bring the internet in first, then the wireless router.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm well confused! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
Not entirely sure what you mean there, it sounded like you dont have an internet connection of your own, but might just be the way i read it, your router does need to be connected to the internet, if you just want to take advantage of a local wireless connection, you only need a wireless adapter.
The last belkin router i had, would work right to the end of my garden, around 100yards, but it was upstairs in the house, belkin suggest that you put the router as high as possible for best coverage.
I know at my dads house, he can pick up a belkin router thats unsecured, which is almost 200 yards away, very weak signal, but he can still get on the net with it via his laptop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, what I mean is I pay for broadband in my studio... and want to be able to jump on the same connection at my house. It is literally just across the street.

From what I have read, the Belkin Pre-N isn't a modem, it's a router, so needs an ethernet modem to run along side it. Thats what I think it means anyway... I just want something that will let me use my broadband from my studio in my house!

I tried the Belkin MIMO G+, but it wasn't strong enough. :(
 

·
snide twat
Joined
·
39,983 Posts
Noncompusmentis said:
Sorry, what I mean is I pay for broadband in my studio... and want to be able to jump on the same connection at my house. It is literally just across the street.

From what I have read, the Belkin Pre-N isn't a modem, it's a router, so needs an ethernet modem to run along side it. Thats what I think it means anyway... I just want something that will let me use my broadband from my studio in my house!

I tried the Belkin MIMO G+, but it wasn't strong enough. :(
the pre-n you're looking at is indeed a router - this means it doesn't have a modem built in so wants an ethernet connection connected to it.

you can plug a lead from the 'mimo g' unit you have to the pre-n device and that will work, but is 'fun' to setup properly.

easiest thing for you is to just get the 'pre-n' ADSL router, that has a modem built in and will replace the mimo one you have.

whether it reaches you house is still a bit hit or miss though :) and I would also recommend not buying belkin stuff as it sin't very good. Netgear have a 'pre-n' rangemax ADSL router that works very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spiny said:
the pre-n you're looking at is indeed a router - this means it doesn't have a modem built in so wants an ethernet connection connected to it.

you can plug a lead from the 'mimo g' unit you have to the pre-n device and that will work, but is 'fun' to setup properly.

easiest thing for you is to just get the 'pre-n' ADSL router, that has a modem built in and will replace the mimo one you have.

whether it reaches you house is still a bit hit or miss though :) and I would also recommend not buying belkin stuff as it sin't very good. Netgear have a 'pre-n' rangemax ADSL router that works very well.
:cool: Cheers Spiny. I took the MIMO G+ back... told em it was crap! :lol: They sold it me on the suggestion that it would cover the distance required.

I'll have a look into the Netgear stuff... I have read that their stuff is good on some of the belkin reviews :eek:
 

·
snide twat
Joined
·
39,983 Posts
Noncompusmentis said:
:cool: Cheers Spiny. I took the MIMO G+ back... told em it was crap! :lol: They sold it me on the suggestion that it would cover the distance required.

I'll have a look into the Netgear stuff... I have read that their stuff is good on some of the belkin reviews :eek:
I test this sort of stuff as part of my job - we no longer bother testing belkin kit ... however we send netgear stuff to our customers :)

the belkin stuff was too unreliable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spiny said:
I test this sort of stuff as part of my job - we no longer bother testing belkin kit ... however we send netgear stuff to our customers :)

the belkin stuff was too unreliable.
Thats handy to know... and the advise that I was looking for!

I'll get looking down the Netgear route!

Cheers dude! :hangloose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,065 Posts
if you buy a router / hub which you can fit external arial to you could always use a directional arial... though this will take a fair amount of setting up (though pringle cans can be useful ;) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sam Jelfs said:
if you buy a router / hub which you can fit external arial to you could always use a directional arial... though this will take a fair amount of setting up (though pringle cans can be useful ;) )
I'm gonna get some sort of Pre-N or N1 router... more than likely netgear following Spiny's suggestions... but yeah, if that don't work... will have a look at directional aerials!

Cheers!
:hangloose
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top