Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have been trying for two days now to fit my engine back into my van after fitting a replacment gearbox. As far as I can tell the teeth on the flywheel is hitting the bell house at the top. I have tried bending the bottom bolts in the gearbox but then I cant get the bolt in the holes or the fan house hit the top of the engine ebay.
Any ideas what I may be doing wrong guys? Or maybe a tyrouble shooting guide.
Off topic, I cant ever search on this forum, when I click go using firefox the page just goes blank and the status bar say done. On internet explorer it just say page cannot be found. Is it just me or does anyone else have the same problem?
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Van is a 60 cab crew with creative irs. The gearbox is from a 1302s and the engine is a 1776 T1 based lump. the flywheel is 215mm. The gearbox looks just like the one I removed. I have measured depth and width of the bell housing and the diamentions seem the same. If no one have any ideas I will try removing the gearbox again tonight and try lining the gearbox up while the engine is on the on the bench.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
I've personally found that the car needs to be level for the engine to slide in. I.e. No rake at all. Just a thought as I don't know what else to suggest.

·
Registered
722 Posts
As a novice I had a nightmare of a job on my Bus and Beetle when i first put the engine back and in it was all down to alignment.

Make sure the van is parallel and so is the engine (i didnt have the van jacked up at all once the engine was under it). you should not need to use any force as long as they are aligned. you may need to turn the flywheel via the pulley end slightly to align the spline but thats about it.

hope this helps. Good luck :hangloose

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
As it's a replacement box, have you checked that all the studs are where you want them to be. It's easy enough to overlook.

And also what the others have said about parrallel alignment of block/box, clutch alignment & turning the pulley as the shaft enters the clutch.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
have you checked the clutch pressure plate fits over the splined shaft of the gearbox?? Some of the gearboxes, depending on which year it is, have a plastic ' cover', that goes over the splined shaft (in front of the release bearing). If the clutch pressure plate has a metal circular ring on the spring leafs, then you can be assured that the clutch ring is too small to go over the plastic cover, this will prevent the gearbox going fully home. And even if the gearbox does go on, it is unlikely you will get any gears or pressure to the clutch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got the gearbox out now and it still wont go on. The output shaft on the gearbox looks the same. The realease bearing assembly is off the old gearbox so that has not changed. I have now decided that the old gearbox has been clearanced to accept the 215mm flywheel, the bellhousing looks the same but I think the new one has slightly thicker walls. measuring with digital calipers it seems about 1mm thicker.
I think am going to take an angle grinder to the inside of the bell housing to make some room. I know this is not the rright way to do it but I cant think off another way to do it.
The old box (minus the release bearing) just slips into place on the engine with no hassle. before I start grinding I will remove the realease bearing assembly and make sure that it is not fouling for some reason.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I have done it Thanks for everyones advice. I removed about 1mm from around the inside of the bell housing and a notch out of the inside near the centre and it went in easy. I did set fire to myself in the process though. Magnesium filings and a spark from a steel nut can burn through overalls and most of the way through a pair of thick cotton trousers in about half a second. didnt burn me much but it aged me a few years.
Cheers again

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
richardmlea said:
Ok I have done it Thanks for everyones advice. I removed about 1mm from around the inside of the bell housing and a notch out of the inside near the centre and it went in easy. I did set fire to myself in the process though. Magnesium filings and a spark from a steel nut can burn through overalls and most of the way through a pair of thick cotton trousers in about half a second. didnt burn me much but it aged me a few years.
Cheers again
yea be carefull!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts