Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's come home with a mooosive bag of conkers & wants to know how to harden them.

I've had some soaking overnight in vinegar. How long do you leave them? Do you bake yours afterwards?

Let's hear your championship winning recipes.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I hope you're testing them under laboratory conditions...or should that be lavatory conditions? :crazy: Remember to wear a white lab coat at all times ;)

I love playing conkers :D

OP

·
faster than the human eye
2,242 Posts
:we used to put ours in the oven but i can't remember how long for. not too long mind cos it won't break at all. ( oooo i feel a plan coming on :D :incheek:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The best thing to do IMHO is to soak them in vinegar for 6 months then get them out and allow them to dry in time for next years conker season. They'll be as hard as pebbles :)

The kids near me haven't got a clue. Conker fights are literally that- they chuck em at each other :crazy:

·
faster than the human eye
2,242 Posts
teachers, is that right that the kids are not allowed to play conckers in school anymore. what is all that about :rolleyes:

·
Holy Calamity
67,033 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conkers

How to harden conkers

To stand a good chance of winning, it is desirable to have as hard a conker as possible. The best way to achieve this is to leave your conker in a drawer for a year. If you lack time, a similar effect can be gained by briefly baking it in an oven. Some people also swear by soaking or boiling in vinegar. Or paint clear nail varnish on it to harden it.

It should be pointed out, however, that some would consider any artificial hardening of a conker to be cheating. At the British Junior Conkers Championships on the Isle of Wight in October 2005, contestants were banned from bringing their own conkers due to fears that they might harden them. The Campaign For Real Conkers claimed this was an example of over-regulation which was causing a drop in interest in the game. In the World Conker Championship contestants are also restricted to using the conkers provided.

One factor that can affect the strength of a conker is to ensure that the hole is clean and that there are no notches that can begin a crack or split.

On the television show Brainiac: Science Abuse an experiment took place to see how to best harden one's conker. The best contender was a conker that was rolled around in hand cream. The theory was that it softened the impact.
:D

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got some that have been soaked in vinegar over night, half of which have now gone in the oven for half an hour.
I was thinking about injecting resin into a few :D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
camper boy said:
teachers, is that right that the kids are not allowed to play conckers in school anymore. what is all that about :rolleyes:
That's right! We've been got at by the wet liberal brigade.

I suppose that it'd be allowed if the participants wore goggles, protective clothing, had an ambulance standing by and filled in the five page risk assessment form first (providing the form was counterstamped and sent off to County Hall for approval). Oh, and permission letters would have to be completed and returned by parents. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Apparantley spiders don't like the smell of conkers, keep a few in each corner of the house for a while and see if you get any of our eight legged friends.

btw. As this year was such ideal conditions for Daddy Longlegs expect to see some giant arachnids. They've been stuffing themselves all summer :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts