Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any clever internet people able to help me please? :confused:

Im going to be moving out next week to rent a house. I would like to get online but am unsure how to go about it cheaply!
Currently the phone has been disconnected but previously it was with BT. The bt website says they will only reconnect for 12 months, i dont know if i'll be living there for that long. I dont want to pay line rental if im not there :(

Is there any way to get online without paying for a phone i wont be using to make calls?

Also who is offering a good deal at the moment? Im pretty sure i can get broadband in the new house.

Thanks! :hug:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
BT have recently changed the terms so all new connections carry a 12 month contract - mainly because there were lots of other providers who don't want to absorb the cost of connection and thus would direct customers to BT to switch on the line (usually free if line was previously connected) then switch to them as it was only a £13 pound fee - so now its 12 months and hold to term on line rental. If you move house then they line and term can be moved with you, if you move to somewhere where the line can't be provided then I don't beleive you would be held to term (but I'm not at work so I can't check fully, and I work in the TV dept so I don't do this stuff everyday)

You have to have a line to have broadband still - you can have a BT pstn and whatever BB ISP - cheapest isn't always best. Again most ISPs will have at least a 12month contract.

BT line rental is £11 a month inc VAT - in line with most other providers.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If you dont need the phone line and dont want to pay for the line rental on top of the internet isp cost.

Use virgin broadband it can move with you where ever you go if ya move again as long as its in a broadband area for them which is most places these days.
you can pay for a whole year £100 one of payment job done or £10 a month for basic.no phoneline costs and if ya decided ya wanted a phone it comes down the same cable they can sort it for a little bit more £10 a month or maybe less..... :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
not that I would advise...... as it is technically illegal....

about 50% of people never configure their wireless routers correctly.... no security...
soooo.. if you have a wireless connection... you can...... welll i can't say........

Ohh rumour has it you can buy devices that can amplify the ability to use wireless over a greater distance...

ohh and if they do use security.... most people don't use a complicated passphrase etc... so there are many packet sniffers and decoders than can decode them too...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do i find out what ammeneties are at the new house, like can i get cable without any groundworks?

Ive found a cheap package from TalkTalk, that's £20 per month inc. line rental, free landline calls. 8meg. Anybody got any experience with them?

Great help so far, cheers! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts