Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to the site and the world of the classic Vee dub.. Anyhoo i have a 1300 1973 single port beetle, i am changing it to a 1641cc dual port by changing heads and barrels, i have the 1641cc barrels and pistons already. The question I need to know is.... How do i fit the gudgeon pins in the conrods as the pins are too big for the conrods... Do i just knock the shells out and put the pins in? surely this would make the engine clattery and not work properly?.. Or do i need to get the small ends machined and have new shells pressed in? if so where do i get the new shells and how much is the maching going to cost me?

Thanks a lot i will put some pictures of my beetle in the readers rides section now...

Oh yeah just remembered where can i get a new complete set of engine tinware as mine was rusted to feck.. I dont want any poorly fitting crap, is there any good stuff to go for and how much should i be looking at paying?

·
Highly Respected Member
13,501 Posts
Hi -

Welcome to the world of Aircooled VW's.

The gudgeon pins should fit in your existing conrods. (they're a pretty close fit, mind ) but they shoudn't bind in the small end at all. Warming the pistons slightly will help the gudgeon pins slide through easier.

If you have had the conrods re-bushed, did you have them reamed afterwards? - if not that's maybe why you can't get the piston pins back in.

Don't knock the shells out whatever you do ! If the pins won't fit then either you've been given the wrong pistons, or you've just had the conrods re-bushed but not reamed.

As for tinware, I'd try Megabug for some good used original stuff, then give it a good clean & repaint. http://www.megabug.co.uk/

Dave.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Did you buy a set of the so called "matched re-conditioned "rods that Big boys toys sell ? (amongst others).I tried 3 different sets of these and they were all utter shite.It looked as though the bushes were only reamed halfway through.I actually did get them to fit with a little de-burring and polishing with wet and dry and fitted them to my engine but they it bugged me so much i ripped it apart again and got a decent set (from SSP i think).

Ade.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they were just the ones that were in the beetle when i got it, all i know is the 1641cc gudgeon pins did not fit, what is the fastest and cheapest way to do it? do i just get the conrods reamed out and fit new standard bushes? or do i need to get special bushes

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
How much bigger are the gudgeon pins compare to the little end holes?
As Mr Wippy said they should be a gentle push fit. If they aren't try bringing the confods into the house to let them warm up a bit. If the pins do not fit then something is wrong.

I asume the rods come from the 1300 and the pins from the 1641 kit?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah the rods are from the 1300 and the pins are from the 1641cc kit, the pins are a lot bigger than the bushed holes in the conrods, i took one of the bushes out and the new pins almost fit in the holes maybe a little fetling with some wet and dry and they would... so what should i do? get them machined? or do i need new ones?

·
Highly Respected Member
13,501 Posts
You shouldn't have taken the bush out !

Sounds like you've been given the wrong pistons. All VW type 1 engine gudgeon pins are the same size. If your old 1300 ones fitted OK, so should the 1641 pins.

Once you've got the right pistons & pins, you'll now need to have that rod re-bushed and reamed to size.

Where did you buy the 1641 pistons & cylinders ? They've sold you the wrong ones I reckon. (possibly type 4 ?)

There will likley be a number stamped into the crown of the new pistons. What is it ?

Dave.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i bought them from big boys toys, gutted if they are the wrong ones because they wont take them back plus now i need to get the conrods done now i took the bush out... f**k... maybe i should put it back together as a 1300 and get an exchange engine.. save myself the hassle

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
There is a difference in the rods between 1300/1500 and 1600 engines. This is that the 1600 uses studs anchored in the rod to attach the cap -the others use a different method. Overall, they are the same size small end and big end, but as said above you will need new small end bushes reamed to size as you have removed your original ones.

As far as tinware goes, only source genuine VW as the aftermarket stuff is rubbish -megabug will be able to sell you a set, as I'm sure will other VW S/H parts suppliers. There arre small differences in the tin on the various years, so I would advise buying a full set that you know goes together rather than buying here and there.

If you want a complete set of restored powdercoated tin go to the F/S (Auto) section and type in Tinware or Propex in the search bar -I have a set of the stuff for sale, including list/description and photo. I should also be able to sort you out some rods if you are interested.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,501 Posts
Is there a number stamped into the top of your new pistons ?

Is it the same number on all of them ?

(just so we can try and identify what you've actually got.)

They should take them back and give you the correct items or a refund if they have sold you the wrong parts, but first we need to find out what you've got.

According to my books, the guidgeon pin diameter for a type 1 engine (that's what you've got) is 22mm. The diameter of a type 4 engine gudgeon pin is 23 - 24mm. I'm guessing you've got a type 4 piston & cylinder set.

If you've only been trying with one piston, just check the other 3 are the same. (check the numbers on the piston crowns)

Dave.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah im pretty sure they are type 4 then with that size pin, i cant send them back as my dad dropped one and snapped a cooling fin off :( so looks like £109 down the drain. Im going to put it back to a 1300cc now and make it bigger when i can afford to go proper size with new case etc

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Darkc0re said:
yeah im pretty sure they are type 4 then with that size pin, i cant send them back as my dad dropped one and snapped a cooling fin off :( so looks like £109 down the drain. Im going to put it back to a 1300cc now and make it bigger when i can afford to go proper size with new case etc
I'm sure you can sell the B+P's on (you will make a loss). Call me if you need another set of con-rods. New B+P's are under £100, you will also need new pushrod tubes, some gaskets and to have your heads fly-cut, or source new/second hand 1600 heads.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what do you reckon i can get for the barrels and pistons with the broken cooling fin?. Dont need another set of conrods as im getting the old ones rebushed and reamed

·
Registered
919 Posts
are you sure your engine is a single port 1300?
the reason i ask is that 1200's had a smaller gudgeon pin.

·
Registered
919 Posts
check the engine no. on the front of the crankcase, if it starts with the letter F its a single port 1300, if its a D its a 1200.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,501 Posts
ozzy67uk said:
are you sure your engine is a single port 1300?
the reason i ask is that 1200's had a smaller gudgeon pin.
That could be it then - and if it is a 1200 then your pistons & cylinders may be 1641 cc type 1 after all. If you could post the numbers stamped into the top of the pistons (if any) then we'll be able to tell.

Never realised the 1200 had smaller pins ! ( you live & learn !)

Dave.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sorry been away for a couple of days, what number is it off the top of the piston as there are several? my engine code is "AS" or am i looking in the wrong place? that was stamped on the case on the sump

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok just found the right place for the engine code... Its a D so its a 1200, and the Gpin diameter is about 19mm-20mm... checkec my B+P set and the pin is 22mm so i have the right set and the wrong engine.. lovely stuff... Will a 1500 be ok to fit the B + P to?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts